Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a very simple pattern of a washcloth with a dragon fly on it. The pattern is knit all in one color including the dragonfly. I'd like to be a bit different. I'd like to knit the background using white and the dragon fly in Blue.
I am having a difficult time though. I started the pattern after watching You tube videos on intarsia knitting and my stitch just didn't look right. Not sure what I did wrong.

The pattern looks kind of like this X = Knit\ C=Purl

XXXXXXXXCXXXXXXXX ( Knit Stitch in white, Purl stitch in a different color ) ??

The next row is all Knit

Then you repeat the 2 rows. That's it ! Simple pattern.. Anyone can help?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If the original pattern is knit all in one color, the way the dragonfly shows up is by using something other than the knit stitch. In this case, it's a purl. If you want the entire thing to be in stockinette stitch, then you need to knit the dragonfly color on the right side along with all the other stitches and purl all the stitches on the reverse side, changing colors as appropriate. If you follow the chart your dragonfly is most likely going to be in reverse stockinette on a stockinette background.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
mousepotato said:
If she is doing intarsia there should be no "messy side", after all, she's not going to be carrying the yarn as she would in fair isle knitting.
no, there a lot of ends to work in with intarsia, maybe not as many as fairisle, but still a lot.... there has to be a different ball of yarn (even when the same color) for every section of color.....

just use all the 'C's in your pattern to represent the motif color but still make it a knit stitch, you don't need the texture difference when using color...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have been knitting dish cloths for some time with two and more colors. It is difficult at best. It is not rare that I do not like the appearance of one side or the other. No matter what system you use one side will not be as attractive as the other. It is slow painstaking work to make a fabric look presentable on BOTH sides. I rarely achieve that unfortunately. I cannot tell you how many dishcloths I possess that I wouldn't give away because they look "messy". I also found that if you use a cotton yarn with some Linen in the fiber content the resulting fabric is much neater because the yarn is lighter than it is with "sugar and cream". I find that yarn a bit heavy for dishcloths, and unfortunately I bought a lot of it a while back. Anyway, keep trying, anything you learn to do is a positive. I always try to learn a new technique at least once a week. I think I get bored always doing the same old thing. Hang in there, your effort will pay off in the long run. :)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Rhonda61 said:
Thank you everyone. If I can't get it to look right with my knitting, I know I can drag out my weaving loom! ????

Thanks!!!
Or better still - - - stick with it! It will reap rewards. Learning new skills IMHO is the best. I, for one, now, when next I knit a dishcloth with more than one color will try my hand at duplicate stitch. It will be fun. BUT in all the videos I have seen, or text I have read, I have yet to see what the result on the reverse side looks like. THIS will be my next adventure. I have a suspicion that the reverse of the duplicate stitch will look less than wonderful. We'll see!!! Happy learning and exploring! :sm24: :sm24:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
yona said:
The duplicate stitch would be easier to do and you can rip it out if you don't like the color and make other changes.
Yes, I have no doubt that I can do that because I have been sewing all my life. I made all my children's clothing for years, plus my own. My only concern is that it would be messy on the back side and with dishcloths both sides are visible. when I get a chance i'll check it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom