Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
It was a Bernat pattern. I copied to my Word documents- if the attachment doesn't come, I could send it to you via email. Will try to find the exact site.
Name "Baby Cakes" Baby cocoon sack
Baby Cakes - Baby Cocoon Sack and Cap (knit)

Adorable textured cocoon keeps baby feeling safe and warm. Perfect as a baby shower gift. Shown in Bernat Baby Cakes.
Skill Level

SIZES
Sack: 20 ins [51 cm] around x 24 ins [61 cm] long.
Cap: To fit average newborn - 3 mos.
MATERIALS
Bernat� Baby Cakes (100 g/3.5 oz; 185 m/203 yds)
MC: 43205 (Shamrock) 1 ball
A: 43201 (Honey Dew) 1 ball
B: 43007 (Ice Cream) 1 ball
Size 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) circular knitting needle 16 ins [40.5 cm] long. Set of four 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) double-pointed knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
GAUGE: 20 sts and 26 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st. ABBREVIATIONS
www.bernat.com/glossary
STRIPE PAT
With A, knit 3 rnds.
With B, purl 3 rnds.
With MC, knit 6 rnds.
These 12 rnds form Stripe Pat.
INSTRUCTIONS
COCOON SACK
With MC and circular needle, cast on 100 sts. Join in rnd, placing marker on first st to mark beg of rnd.
1st rnd: Knit.
2nd rnd: Purl.
Rep last 2 rnds twice more.
Proceed in Stripe Pat for 18 ins [45.5 cm].
Bottom shaping
1st rnd: *K8. K2tog. Rep from * around. 90 sts.
2nd and alt rnds: Knit.
3rd rnd: *K7. K2tog. Rep from * around. 80 sts.
5th rnd: *K6. K2tog. Rep from * around. 70 sts.
Cont as established, dec 10 sts on alt rnds until there are 10 sts.
Break yarn, leaving a long end, draw through all sts tightly. Fasten securely.
CAP
With MC and set of 4 double- pointed needles, cast on 80 sts. Divide sts evenly onto 3 needles. Join in rnd, placing marker on first st to mark beg of rnd.
Work 6 rnds in (K2. P2) ribbing.
Proceed in Stripe Pat until Hat measures 4� ins [11.5 cm].Shape top
1st rnd: *K8. K2tog. Rep from * around. 72 sts.
2nd and 3rd rnds: Knit.
4th rnd: *K7. K2tog. Rep from * around. 64 sts.
5th and 6th rnds: Knit.
Cont in this manner, dec 8 sts evenly around next rnd and following 3rd rnds until 16 sts rem. Next rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around. 8 sts. Break yarn, leaving a long end, draw through all sts tightly. Fasten securely.This pattern can be completed with one of the following Bernat yarns:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure some of your abbreviations- and I am new to the Kn. Paradise, but here is a patter for the Baby cocoon.

Baby Cakes - Baby Cocoon Sack and Cap (knit)

Adorable textured cocoon keeps baby feeling safe and warm. Perfect as a baby shower gift. Shown in Bernat Baby Cakes.
Skill Level

SIZES
Sack: 20 ins [51 cm] around x 24 ins [61 cm] long.
Cap: To fit average newborn - 3 mos.
MATERIALS
Bernat� Baby Cakes (100 g/3.5 oz; 185 m/203 yds)
MC: 43205 (Shamrock) 1 ball
A: 43201 (Honey Dew) 1 ball
B: 43007 (Ice Cream) 1 ball
Size 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) circular knitting needle 16 ins [40.5 cm] long. Set of four 4.5 mm (U.S. 7) double-pointed knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
GAUGE: 20 sts and 26 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st. ABBREVIATIONS
www.bernat.com/glossary
STRIPE PAT
With A, knit 3 rnds.
With B, purl 3 rnds.
With MC, knit 6 rnds.
These 12 rnds form Stripe Pat.
INSTRUCTIONS
COCOON SACK
With MC and circular needle, cast on 100 sts. Join in rnd, placing marker on first st to mark beg of rnd.
1st rnd: Knit.
2nd rnd: Purl.
Rep last 2 rnds twice more.
Proceed in Stripe Pat for 18 ins [45.5 cm].
Bottom shaping
1st rnd: *K8. K2tog. Rep from * around. 90 sts.
2nd and alt rnds: Knit.
3rd rnd: *K7. K2tog. Rep from * around. 80 sts.
5th rnd: *K6. K2tog. Rep from * around. 70 sts.
Cont as established, dec 10 sts on alt rnds until there are 10 sts.
Break yarn, leaving a long end, draw through all sts tightly. Fasten securely.
CAP
With MC and set of 4 double- pointed needles, cast on 80 sts. Divide sts evenly onto 3 needles. Join in rnd, placing marker on first st to mark beg of rnd.
Work 6 rnds in (K2. P2) ribbing.
Proceed in Stripe Pat until Hat measures 4� ins [11.5 cm].Shape top
1st rnd: *K8. K2tog. Rep from * around. 72 sts.
2nd and 3rd rnds: Knit.
4th rnd: *K7. K2tog. Rep from * around. 64 sts.
5th and 6th rnds: Knit.
Cont in this manner, dec 8 sts evenly around next rnd and following 3rd rnds until 16 sts rem. Next rnd: *K2tog. Rep from * around. 8 sts. Break yarn, leaving a long end, draw through all sts tightly. Fasten securely.This pattern can be completed with one of the following Bernat yarns:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
There have been several postings on the forum for or about baby cocoons. At the top of the page is a button that says search. If you click the button, then enter baby cocoon in the search box, you will find the patterns that have already been discussed. If you want to buy a pattern, there is a cute one on Annie's Atic for about 6.50. Bernat yarn has 2 free patterns on their web site. You can Google knit baby cocoon too. Since there are patterns on this site, begin with a search here. You can copy and paste the pattern entered by Ruth or go to the Bernat site and download the file in .pdf format. The Bernat website has a photo of the pattern so you'll know how it looks. All of the links are posted in the forum discussions.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Hi Wise....I thought your question indicated a "machine", of which I know nothing, but I came up with an idea and am sure I posted it..no matter. Realizing that babies outgrow cocoons quickly, I make a square blankie then, with a contrasting thread, lace it together down the back (or front) to bottom, leave long tails. Then, run another thread thru bottom and pull tight, leaving tails. Now tie all tails in a bow. Voila! You have a cocoon that can be un-laced and used as a blankie later. Works for me, and I'm sure you can make a square or rectangle on a machine. Yes? God luck..Hildy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hildy3 said:
Hi Wise....I thought your question indicated a "machine", of which I know nothing, but I came up with an idea and am sure I posted it..no matter. Realizing that babies outgrow cocoons quickly, I make a square blankie then, with a contrasting thread, lace it together down the back (or front) to bottom, leave long tails. Then, run another thread thru bottom and pull tight, leaving tails. Now tie all tails in a bow. Voila! You have a cocoon that can be un-laced and used as a blankie later. Works for me, and I'm sure you can make a square or rectangle on a machine. Yes? God luck..Hildy
That sounds like a great ideas thanks for sharing!!!!

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Thanks..hadn't thought of a name for it..hereafter referred to as Growing Cocoon..that says it all...see? two great minds collaborating. thanks! Hildy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hildy3 said:
Would you mind posting a photo?

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
I can send you a couple if you would like

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
one of the cocoon patterns I have is a strawberry........and I have a topper (hat) to go with it.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
I have never posted because my things go right out the door...so many mommies waiting for something pretty. Nurses tell me the pitiful things that babies go home swaddled in and my blankies are received with grateful tears. I never see them but I know that their tears and mine mix in one blessing.
Anyway, just sketch a pic of a folded square and "shoelace' it top to bottom, then cinch in bottom and pull tight. I use two threads for bottom and have decided the lacing should be in front so that back is solid, just safer..you never know. If y'all donate to a hospital throw in a rattle, pacifier, first bear..whatever you can. These are "poor" people and if they sell my gift for food it will not hurt my feelings..I have helped in my small way. I'm sorry..I do go on and on..I'm just so passionate about this. Hildy

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom