Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please help me to understand how to make a crochet swatch. If I use the same yarn and the same size hook is 4 sc per inch the same as 4 dc per inch? I appreciate very much, I new working with crochet. Thank you

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
If you look at the sc and the dc stitch you will see that the dc is twice as tall as sc. Your project will get longer or taller with dc than with sc. Sc makes a more solid fabric and dc will be more holey or lacey. Make a swatch of both and keep for reference.
So, to answer your question, yes, make a swatch and measure the height, you will crochet fewer rows with dc to make the same size swatch as sc with more rows.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((( I'm fairly sure swatching is done with the shortest stitch then you compare it to the pattern/yarn label spec, adjust your hook size accordingly and all the other stitches just gauge up the same.

If your instructions say to gauge swatch using a taller stitch, then that's what you do.

Good luck!
~~~~~~
amazonia said:
Can anyone please help me to understand how to make a crochet swatch. If I use the same yarn and the same size hook is 4 sc per inch the same as 4 dc per inch? I appreciate very much, I new working with crochet. Thank you

·
Registered
27 Posts
Most patterns you are using will tell you how to crochet the gauge swatch, usually in the pattern stitch used in the project. Follow the gauge instructions exactly & then measure. If the swatch is larger than the stated size, go to a smaller hook and try again. If the swatch is smaller than the stated size, use a larger hook and try again. If you are going by the gauge stated on the yarn label, most of those will give the stitch used to get the gauge stated (sc/dc)....Hope this helps. P.S. the width of your stitches may differ slightly too with the stitch worked, again, pay close attention to the instructions and follow them exactly. It is also very important to swatch every project as your gauge changes over time and with the type of yarn used and the type of crochet hook used. Worsted weight yarn may not swatch the same depending on fiber content, and the shape of the hooks can slightly affect gauge.

e.ridenh said:
((((( I'm fairly sure swatching is done with the shortest stitch then you compare it to the pattern/yarn label spec, adjust your hook size accordingly and all the other stitches just gauge up the same.

If your instructions say to gauge swatch using a taller stitch, then that's what you do.

Good luck!
~~~~~~
amazonia said:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom