Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a hat on circular needles and I have gotten to the decreases. the first row starts like this- *ssk, P16; K2tog; rpt from * to end. I started with 80 stitches and I am supposed to end this round with 72 stitches. I know how to ssk and of course K2tog. my question is after I do the first ssk, P16 and K2tog do I do another ssk right after I do the K2tog ? That is what the instructions seem to say. I did three inches of K1P1 ribbing and then 4 inches of purling which gives me a very nice looking reverse stockinette stitch. I am pleased with the hat so far so I don't want to mess this up. Also about when should I start using DPN's ?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
23,386 Posts
This is your repeat:
*ssk, P16, K2tog;

So yes, continue doing these 3 step stitch instructions.
You will switch to DPN when it becomes difficult to knit on the circulars at a "comfortable" stretch between stitches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I am trying to challenge my self to branch out from just straight mostly simple knitting to doing more complicated things like garments circular and color knitting but there is a learning process that comes with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
This row is 8 stitch decrease: which I feel is the norm for hat patterns. If you have 80 stitches to begin with; prior to this new pattern row I can not see how this works.

Do you have 80 stitches on your needle before this pattern begins?

To tell you the truth I'm puzzled with these numbers.

Maybe some other KP'er can understand this better as I'm not understanding the numbers in your pattern.

I can tell you that when I knitted in the round with one circular I got the dp's out just before the yarn started stretching/pulling. These days I figured out how to knit in the round with 2 circulars...it works great for me. I don't use my dp's much these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 80 stitches on my needles. If I take off 8 stitches by decreasing I will have 72 stitches left to start the next round. That sounds right to my inexperienced mind. I am not familiar with using two circulars for this type of thing. This will be my first try at DPNs as well. I am trying to learn new things so I can develop more skill with knitting and crochet. Thanks for your answer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
black kitty said:
I have 80 stitches on my needles. If I take off 8 stitches by decreasing I will have 72 stitches left to start the next round. That sounds right to my inexperienced mind. I am not familiar with using two circulars for this type of thing. This will be my first try at DPNs as well. I am trying to learn new things so I can develop more skill with knitting and crochet. Thanks for your answer!
I am not one to respond to these help issues but I felt bad you were not getting any...sometimes it takes a little bit. But I think of you (and others) who are sitting there in your comfy chair waiting. Maybe I should get that picture out of my mind. I just feel bad if you are waiting. BUT...This is all good...I see you did get another reply so I see you can continue. Happy for you ... yes, it took me a bit to work with 2 circulars. I was fumbling with those dp's and one day found I can use 2 circulars, so I picked up another circular and fumbled a few hours, but kept at it until I got the hang of it. Good that you are learning new ... fun isn't it? I love it. Happy Knitting Black Kitty! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are right. I am trying to forge ahead with this hat as I want to send it to brother dearest who needs it because he works outside in the cold all day. Also I have other projects waiting in line; sewing, crochet and knitting. If a person does those sorts of things there is always more things to do than there is time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
black kitty said:
You are right. I am trying to forge ahead with this hat as I want to send it to brother dearest who needs it because he works outside in the cold all day. Also I have other projects waiting in line; sewing, crochet and knitting. If a person does those sorts of things there is always more things to do than there is time.
OHHH..you've got that right...not enough time! Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,648 Posts
The decreases as written will work: the repeat is over 20 stitches (x4) and reduces that 20 to 18 (18x4=72).

It will be a decorative decrease as the ssk (left-leaning decrease) and k2tog (right-leaning decrease) will be adjacent and done in knit stitches where the rest is in reverse stocking stitch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That explains it and lets me stop worrying. It does have these very obvious decreases at the top. As you explain things every thing is done on purpose just the way it is written- I get it. Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,511 Posts
black kitty said:
Thank you very much. I am trying to challenge my self to branch out from just straight mostly simple knitting to doing more complicated things like garments circular and color knitting but there is a learning process that comes with it.
Good for you for trying new things. You grow by challenging yourself and meeting small challenges successfully. Knit on!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom