Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning, KPers. Hope all is well with everyone. I have made quite a few felted hats before but never one for myself. I have just finished knitting one using a combo of patterns for a felted hat. I did it in garter stitch since I don't like the rolled brim usually associated with the felted hats. I prefer more of a "newsboy" short front only brim. Soooooo....have any of you done something like this? Yes, I've already done all the searches, thank you. I crocheted a hat like this for myself a few years ago and love it esp for dog walking in the winter which is why I want a similar felted one. I have my ideas but was wondering what yours might be. I have the hat done and am thinking of picking up stitches on the front and improvising a brim. If it turns out well I will post it. If it flops nobody but me will ever know. Thoughts about this are very welcome in my muddled brain! Thanks much and Happy Needling. jberg

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
May I ask where you found the pattern for the hat in the first place. I know the knitting is larger than normal but so far I have no found a pattern. I would like to try felting a hat. What size needles do you use and how many stitches?

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ones I used are discontinued and no longer available. There are some out there like the one at knitaddicted.com and Drops 104-19. Hope this helps. jberg

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the links, babsbarb. I'm not interested in the beret and the first one is crocheted. I did crochet a brimmed hat awhile ago but I understand that crochet felts a little differently than knit. So being impatient as I am I went ahead and improvise something. If it works I'll let y'all know. If not, you've not read this! Happy Needling. jberg

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
Ive not felted much other than a cat mat, Irecently started another with a basic c-c then thought I could pick up stitches all around for a edge to make a basket kind of thing for her.....i kept over thinking then a friend suggested I do a small test one to try to see how it would work im glad I did as I used my yarn held double for the edge which felted way to thick on my test...im now just picking up over 400 stitches all around then will need several inches to finish ... then to felt

Maybe you could try a small sample to see how the brim will look once felted I do hope it works out for you

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
I haven't done this, but I've seen newsboy type hats that have a brim that has two thicknesses knitted, and stiffening sewn in. It seems to me that the perfect thing to use sandwiched inside the knitting would be one of those thin foam brims. They're washable, and you could throw them in your knitting bag, and even if they got bent, they seem to snap back into shape.

You would probably need to trim down the foam brim to fit the pattern, but that seems perfect. That kind of foam was intended for people to cut out shapes.

It just seems like a good solution to me.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/603781566/curly-lace-foam-big-brim-royal-blue-sun?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=foam+brim+cap&ref=sr_gallery-1-38&frs=1

The link is just to show the kind of thing I'm thinking about. I've seen them much cheaper in the big box craft stores. Look in the kid's section.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom