Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm knitting a pair of basic adult gloves from a "Patons Next steps seven" book. Each finger gives the following instructions:
1. slip next 5 stitches from length of yarn
2. TURN - cast on 2 sts
3. TURN - knit last 5 sts
4. Pick up and knit 2 sts at base of previous finger
5. divide these 14 sts onto 3 needles and knit in round

I know I'm not doing something right because I keep getting holes at the base of each finger (where two fingers meet). I've tried different methods of casting on, but I know I'm missing something. Once I cast on and pick up other sts I'm just creating holes.
I posted a picture of the holes in between the fingers.
This is the first time I've knitted gloves. Can anyone provide any assistance?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
81,000 Posts
ebarnes227 said:
I'm knitting a pair of basic adult gloves from a "Patons Next steps seven" book. Each finger gives the following instructions:
1. slip next 5 stitches from length of yarn
2. TURN - cast on 2 sts
3. TURN - knit last 5 sts 'last 5 sts' includes the two you just cast on
4. Pick up and knit 2 sts at base of previous finger
5. divide these 14 sts onto 3 needles and knit in round

I know I'm not doing something right because I keep getting holes at the base of each finger (where two fingers meet). I've tried different methods of casting on, but I know I'm missing something. Once I cast on and pick up other sts I'm just creating holes.
I posted a picture of the holes in between the fingers.
This is the first time I've knitted gloves. Can anyone provide any assistance?
It's also helpful to cross a stitch from one finger with one from the next. Look at any cheapo one-size-fits-all glovie from the dollar store; that's how they avoid holes between fingers. It is a fiddly manoeuvre, but the result is worth the bother.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Google or surge on Youtube "how to knit glove" and also there you will find good tips and how-to's to avoid this. You can even have a look at how to knit stitches between fingers. I knitted my first pair of gloves this year and I found it absolutely a great help. Look at the attached patterns I got of the web and her patterns are wonderful and they do come out as she explains it. I love Kathlene Taylor's patterns. Very very user friendly

Attachments

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Cottongirl said:
Google or surge on Youtube "how to knit glove" and also there you will find good tips and how-to's to avoid this. You can even have a look at how to knit stitches between fingers. I knitted my first pair of gloves this year and I found it absolutely a great help. Look at the attached patterns I got of the web and her patterns are wonderful and they do come out as she explains it. I love Kathlene Taylor's patterns. Very very user friendly
Let me know if you have difficulty reading the *.docx files and I will convert them. I do appreciate having them for later reading.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
When you pick up the stitches from the base of the previous finger, you do it in such a way as to not make holes - you are not picking the stitches up from the cast on stitches that you did... Step 2, you cast on 2 stitches. In step 4, those are the stitches you pick up for the next finger.

Also, don't be afraid to pick up one or even two extra stitches - you can decrease them immediately on the next round. This will keep your stitch count even, and it will fill in the hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom