Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all...
I am knitting the Ashton Shawl. After frogging several rows I am finally on chart 3. I read through KAL and took advice of putting a lifeline into the row of purl stitches. When I start my pattern row I find that the lifeline interferes with my knitting. What am I doing wrong? It is hard enough to concentrate on the lace stitches and the lifeline keeps getting in the way. I used dental floss as lifeline.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I learned to use life lines while knitting my first Ashton. I used crochet thread for the life lines and did not have a problem when knitting the next row. You just have to ignore the life line and, if necessary, just push it out of the way. You are probably not doing anything wrong. However, I have read on the forum that dental floss should not be used for life lines since it can damage the yarn. Have not tried dental floss so I can't speak from experience.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The aggravation of getting through that "lifeline" row will be worth the effort if you have to actually use it. Dental floss is not recommended. I haven't ever tried using it, so I have no personal experience but others have said that it can catch on your yarn and break it. I just use a very thin scrap in a contrasting color. I'm afraid there is no easy way to get through that row!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I use crochet cotton for lifelines that way will slip out of the knitting. Run your lifeline through the back of the needle. I have found that by doing it in the back of the (purl side) back when you go and knit the lifeline is out of the way for the most part.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, you folks are quick! Thanks for the help. I will go dig out some of my pearl cotton in my weaving stash and try that.

Hugs to all... :)

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
First get rid of the dental floss as a lifeline. It can and does damage your yarn (personal experience) 2nd #10 crochet thread as a life line. You may also find that you're knitting your purl rows just a little tighter than normal, and with the addition of dental floss as a lifeline when you get to the next row it's making it more difficult for you to manipulate your stitches.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I put my lifeline in when I finish the pattern row (facing the front of the work) then when I pearl back it's much easier as the lifeline leans toward the back of the work and I have little trouble with the lifeline.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have exactly the same problem when working with small needles and fine yarn. I think the lifeline thread I am using it too thick because it makes the next row hard to knit and yes it gets in the way. That said, I should am happy I put it in when I have to frog out a few rows.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Dental floss many times has wax that can get onto the yarn and needles and it also can break. Most knitters that I know use Crochet Thread (Joann's Fabric Store, Hobby Lobby, Michael's). It comes in various colors (easy to see for certain projects), and weights, and is not expensive. I always tie a stitch marker on each end after threading my LL. It also slides easily when ready to pull out and can be used again.
http://www.joann.com/aunt-lydia-s-fashion-crochet-thread-/prd37909/

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
julielacykntr said:
Dental floss many times has wax that can get onto the yarn and needles and it also can break. Most knitters that I know use Crochet Thread (Joann's Fabric Store, Hobby Lobby, Michael's). It comes in various colors (easy to see for certain projects), and weights, and is not expensive. I always tie a stitch marker on each end after threading my LL. It also slides easily when ready to pull out and can be used again.
http://www.joann.com/aunt-lydia-s-fashion-crochet-thread-/prd37909/
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again. I used crochet cotton and it worked much better.
I will try putting it into the pattern row also. May be a bit tricky with all the YO's but what hasn't been been tricky on this shawl?!

I got 2 more rows done while waiting at car dealership for oil change etc. started row 3 and someone decided to talk to me and....ribbit. I can not do anythingnwhile knitting this shawl except stare at the chart and talk out loud with each stitch! I will conquer this with all your help and support.
Hugs :)

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
Lynnhelen said:
Thanks again. I used crochet cotton and it worked much better.
I will try putting it into the pattern row also. May be a bit tricky with all the YO's but what hasn't been been tricky on this shawl?!

Hugs :)
I really don't suggest placing a lifeline in a "pattern row". With all the YO's it is too tricky IMHO. There is nothing that says you can't have a life line in every purl (or knit) row. When I first started knitting lace I had one in every "plain" row.

I'm glad you found the crochet thread to work better for you. It's amazing what a difference having the right tool makes, and like most of us you are not afraid to try something, and find out there has to be a better way, be it through trial and error or asking what you might think is a dumb question. Trust me, the only dumb question is the one not asked! ;-)

I'm currently working on this shawl, and even though there isn't any lace it's a pattern that allows you a lot of leeway in how you knit it, and basically design it yourself as you go. I have so many lifelines in it currently that I may have to break down and buy more crochet thread... LOL. I'll do a 10 row section and decide if I like it or not, and right now a 10 row section has 5 lifelines. And that's only because I'm randomly doing full eyelet rows, and randomly spaced eyelets themselves in the body of the shawl.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/3s-shawl,

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have two hints that work for me. (I use crochet thread.) When you get your lifeline in, pull on both ends to make the line taut . As you knit you will need to pull one end or the other as the line will bunch up as you push your left stitches forward.

My other hint is to put a smaller needle size on the side you are knitting from. This will give you more room for your required needle to maneuver. (I'm referring to interchangeables here)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lynnhelen said:
Good morning all...
I am knitting the Ashton Shawl. After frogging several rows I am finally on chart 3. I read through KAL and took advice of putting a lifeline into the row of purl stitches. When I start my pattern row I find that the lifeline interferes with my knitting. What am I doing wrong? It is hard enough to concentrate on the lace stitches and the lifeline keeps getting in the way. I used dental floss as lifeline.
Sorry to get off your subject but what does "KAL" mean? :?:

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
I always use lifelines I use crochet thread and use the same thread over and over again. I put in a life line almost every 2 or 3 rows depending on the pattern it never seems to cause a problem. and has saved me so many times I can't even count. Happy knitting

·
Registered
14,696 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a special circular stitch holder from red heart
http://www.shopredheart.com/default...ProductID=6879&ItemID=11947&RootCatCode=04000

that is actually made from a thick plastic filament, like a thick fishing line,
Being thick and semi rigid it is easy to move out of the way when knitting and actually naturally sits at the bottom of the stitch so the knitting needle doesn't pick it up with the stitch.

Try using a thick fishing line or a piece of a whipper snipper cord, other than Australia they are called (String trimmers, edge trimmers, line trimmers, weed whips, strimmer). To secure the ends, use a bead stop and use a darning needle on the other end to thread through your knitting.
Dee

Lynnhelen said:
Good morning all...

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Speaking of lifelines...I "pampered" myself for this past Christmas by buying the complete set of the ChiaGoo Red Lace Interchangeable needles. I have used them a few times to make dish cloths as a "break" from completing a counted cross stitch "painting" (will be posting a pic soon -- to brag :lol: ). My LL question is how to thread the #10 crochet thread through the hole in the cable. Have tried several times and have trouble getting the thread through the bottom hole. Any tricks?? Am knitting an afghan now that the pattern called for 7 panels to be knitted separately and sewn together. Like many of you, I don't like sewing items together, so I am knitting it all in one piece (225 sts wide and 4 different pattern panels). Having a LL could have saved having to tink several rows when I've missed a yo. Thanks for any advice. LOVE this site!!

I don't know how to do a link, but the afghan pattern is Bernat's Waverly Cable and Lace Panels afghan available free from their website.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom