Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished a fun, lacy scarf and don't know how to keep the bind off loose as the rest of it. The pattern is very simple: cast on 31 loose stitches, knit row 1, Row 2 and all even rows: K2, YO, K2Tog to end and K1. Row 3 and all odd rows P all stitches.

I'm at the desired length, but tried to bind off in pattern and it's too tight. I'm not an expert (obviously) so could use some simple advise. (Plus I'm afraid to pull out without ruining about 20 rows!!!!)
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
gshowman said:
Just finished a fun, lacy scarf and don't know how to keep the bind off loose as the rest of it. The pattern is very simple: cast on 31 loose stitches, knit row 1, Row 2 and all even rows: K2, YO, K2Tog to end and K1. Row 3 and all odd rows P all stitches.

I'm at the desired length, but tried to bind off in pattern and it's too tight. I'm not an expert (obviously) so could use some simple advise. (Plus I'm afraid to pull out without ruining about 20 rows!!!!)
Thanks for your help!
I realized you'll be finished by the time you read this, but for your next project, try this...i saw it on Knitty Gritty and have done it ever since.....get the appropriate crochet hook to match your knitting needle size....then use the crochet hook as if it WAS your right hand knitting needle...knit one st, knit a second st and then use the hook to slip the first over the second....it's a normal bind off but there is no fiddling with the point of the left needle and lifting over, the hook does it all for you. To decide if you have the correct size hook, roll knitting needle and crochet hook in your fingers, you will feel right away when they're the right size....and if you still need to go looser (this method I find to be inherently looser), then just use one size larger hook....it is so fast compared to regular bindoffs....

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are so many ways to cast off knitting, and the following one is great for using on shawls or anything needing a loose, stretchy edge:

*k2tog, put stitch back on left needle* repeat from * to * then fasten off last stitch

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( For looser CO & Bo/s, some folks use a needle larger for both, then switch to the called for size in the body.

Did you try that or stay with the same size needles the entire pattern?

Here's more infor on stretchier COs & BOs.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=stretchy+BO+knit+video&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=306ff18b2f1a3a6b

Good luck!
~~~~~~~~~
gshowman said:

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still at work (I KNOW it gets in the way of my knitting)so I will have time to try these suggestions when I get home.
You are all great & I'm so glad I found this site!!!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
gshowman said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still at work (I KNOW it gets in the way of my knitting)so I will have time to try these suggestions when I get home.
You are all great & I'm so glad I found this site!!!
I was having the same problem, then my sister-in-law showed me....I needed to knit 2 stiches then put 1st stich over 2nd. gets real tight when you don't. tutorials are a blessing if you don't have someone to show you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
She says this yarn over bind off would not be appropriate for anything but socks. I recently used it on the top edge of a triangular scarf and it was perfect. HOWEVER, you only do the yarn over on every third stitch:
Bind off 2 stitches, yarn over, and bind off yarn over. Repeat to end of row.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A nice way to handle that is to use a needle say 2-3 times larger than the one you knitted the scarf with. either transfer the stitches onto the larger needle if it is not too difficult or simply keep them on the smaller needle and use one of the larger needles to knit them off. I usually knit the last row with the larger needle and then finish binding off with both larger needles. good luck. paula

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
When binding off, I usually use a needle 2 sizes larger than that used to knit the project. This usually works beautifully, however, occasionally, the bind off is to loose and I have to rip it out and use a smaller needle. Hope you find this helpful. Norita from WI.

·
Registered
46,036 Posts
Another way to bind off loosely is as follows:

As I knit the stitches I pull up the yarn slightly creating a larger 'loop' on my right hand needle & I do that w/all the stitches on the bind off row.

This gives me better control of how loose I really want it since I can immediately see as I'm pulling the loop up how loose I really want it & every couple of inches I compare it to the started, cast on at the beginning of my work so it is an exact match.

I adjust as I 'compare' the botton/beginning to the top where I am casting off so it consistent. Hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom