Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never posted on here before, in fact, I posted this on Private Messages by mistake the other day and of course got no reply! Anyway, this is my problem. I am 73 years old and have been knitting most of my life. I have never really had a problem with a pattern that I couldn't solve myself, until now that is!
I am knitting Marianna's lazy daisy days: Carla Baby Top. Headband & Hat. https://mariannaslazydaisydays.blogspot.com.es/2016/carla-baby-top-headband.html
Row 26 S1, knit to end = 74 sts
Row 27 S1, k3, *(k2, m1) repeat from * to last 6sts, k6 = 106 sts

I have frogged this three times and I still only get 96 sts! What am I doing wrong?
Or is the pattern wrong?

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
on row 27 you start with 74 stitches. There are 10 of those used in the non-repeated begin and end.... leaving 64 stitches
for every 2 of the 64 you will end with 3 (64 divided by 2 = 32: 32 times 3 = 96) then add the 10 back in and that equals the required 106
Some how, either you are miscounting or you are not doing all of the 32 m1's

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Which way are you doing your M1's, if you are knitting front and back of stitch and you are not counting right this will throw you off.When you knit in front of stitch this will be M1 so when you knit in back of stitch you will count this as the first K1 and knitting into the next stitch on left needle will be the K2

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
I'm sorry... pins and needles... but if I take a stitch and knit front and back, I will start with one stitch and end with two. So the result of the number of stitches is the same
I've been seeing this said repeatedly lately and it confuses people and throws them off.... I'm not saying you are bad or the only one doing this, please.

If the designer had intended that kfb be used, she would have written *(k1, kfb) repeat from * and that would have resulted in the same number of stitches as *(k2, m1) repeat from *
A m1 is a different increase than kfb but, used correctly, many people replace m1 with a kfb.... they just need to be aware of the math....
in this case for each 2 stitches you end up with 3.... and except for appearances, it doesn't really matter how you get there

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I agree with Knit4ES and pinsandneedles, however instead of doing the knit in front and back of stitch to do the make 1, I would use the bar between the stitches in the row below. This video shows it
and it is important to twist it as shown.

·
Registered
27,122 Posts
I think it is easier for people to understand our answers when we use the pattern as written instead of changing M1 to KFB or knit one below. You can indeed change the number of stitches Knit and do a KFB instead of a M1. Many people just assume you can replace one stitch for the other without making adjustments. Patterns are often written using the M1 or KFB as it fits in with the design.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
knit4ES said:
I'm sorry... pins and needles... but if I take a stitch and knit front and back, I will start with one stitch and end with two. So the result of the number of stitches is the same
I've been seeing this said repeatedly lately and it confuses people and throws them off.... I'm not saying you are bad or the only one doing this, please.

If the designer had intended that kfb be used, she would have written *(k1, kfb) repeat from * and that would have resulted in the same number of stitches as *(k2, m1) repeat from *
A m1 is a different increase than kfb but, used correctly, many people replace m1 with a kfb.... they just need to be aware of the math....
in this case for each 2 stitches you end up with 3.... and except for appearances, it doesn't really matter how you get there
Some designers do not specify which increase they want you to use...I was just saying if the OP was using Kfb, she needed to be wary of her count and perhaps this is what was throwing her off. If you are doing Kfb you are increasing by one stitch BUT when knitting into the backof the stitch you need to count this as one of the followng K2 stitches.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
p&n.... I follow your explanation. I apologize if I spoke too harshly.... I've recently interacted with some folks who have been confused when someone mentioned kfb when the pattern says m1.
and that has been happening more recently, it seems to me.
then, today, (because of the planets' alignment or because my dog was snappish)... I spoke up. (note that it couldn't be that I am a little off :) )
Usually designers specify the type of increase to use ... like a m1 or kfb (there's also others) and if someone is doing a pattern for the 1st time, I think it's important to just follow the instructions.... especially with someone as expert as MM.
Every once in a while I'll see something where a designer will say something like "inc 1".... meaning choose an increase and do it.... but that's usually on old patterns

·
Registered
27,122 Posts
Exactly right. I totally agree with you. It happens so often that the count is off because of using a different increase than the designer wanted.
pinsandneedles said:
Some designers do not specify which increase they want you to use...I was just saying if the OP was using Kfb, she needed to be wary of her count and perhaps this is what was throwing her off. If you are doing Kfb you are increasing by one stitch BUT when knitting into the backof the stitch you need to count this as one of the followng K2 stitches.

·
Registered
27,122 Posts
Years ago I never saw a M1. I learned what it was on Paradise. Your right the stitch count problem comes up very often on here. I agree with what you have said. Oh, I did NOT mean I agree you are harsh.
knit4ES said:
p&n.... I follow your explanation. I apologize if I spoke too harshly.... I've recently interacted with some folks who have been confused when someone mentioned kfb when the pattern says m1.
then, today, (because of the planets' alignment or because my dog was snappish)... I spoke up. (note that it couldn't be that I am a little off :) )
Usually designers specify the type of increase to use ... like a m1 or kfb (there's also others) and if someone is doing a pattern for the 1st time, I think it's important to just follow the instructions.... especially with someone as expert as MM.
Every once in a while I'll see something where a designer will say something like "inc 1".... meaning choose an increase and do it.... but that's usually on old patterns

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
knit4ES said:
Every once in a while I'll see something where a designer will say something like "inc 1".... meaning choose an increase and do it.... but
that's usually on old patterns
I have made several of this designers all in ones and do not recall any specific way specified to do the M1's...so I have gone to Ravelry and looked up this pattern in question and do not see where she says anything other than to M1...this is why I questioned in my first post as to how OP was doing the increases which led to my explanation.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
pinsandneedles said:
I have made several of this designers all in ones and do not recall any specific way specified to do the M1's...so I have gone to Ravelry and looked up this pattern in question and do not see where she says anything other than to M1...this is why I questioned in my first post as to how OP was doing the increases which led to my explanation.
I hit the send button too fast as I also wanted to say that I hope your day got better as it progressed. I think we all have one of those every now and then.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
pinsandneedles said:
I hit the send button too fast as I also wanted to say that I hope your day got better as it progressed. I think we all have one of those every now and then.
Thank you.... it did....

And now I think I understand more.... when you read M1 ... it means "some increase" .... not necessarily a specific one?
When I read M1, I think of the specific one of picking up the bar between stitches....

Isn't it crazy how we use the same symbols and words but still miscommunicate?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
knit4ES said:
Since this pattern has been made thousands of times.... I don't think so. It is the interpretation of how to do (k2, m1) that can account for the difference. :sm06:
A make 1 is make 1 however you do it!! I don't understand how so many of you experienced knitters think there's a difference. You are only increasing ONE stitch whether you knit twice in the same stitch, pick one up from below or do a yo. How could it be otherwise? ????

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom