Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,292 Posts
Which way are you doing your M1's, if you are knitting front and back of stitch and you are not counting right this will throw you off.When you knit in front of stitch this will be M1 so when you knit in back of stitch you will count this as the first K1 and knitting into the next stitch on left needle will be the K2

· Registered
3,292 Posts
knit4ES said:
I'm sorry... pins and needles... but if I take a stitch and knit front and back, I will start with one stitch and end with two. So the result of the number of stitches is the same
I've been seeing this said repeatedly lately and it confuses people and throws them off.... I'm not saying you are bad or the only one doing this, please.

If the designer had intended that kfb be used, she would have written *(k1, kfb) repeat from * and that would have resulted in the same number of stitches as *(k2, m1) repeat from *
A m1 is a different increase than kfb but, used correctly, many people replace m1 with a kfb.... they just need to be aware of the math....
in this case for each 2 stitches you end up with 3.... and except for appearances, it doesn't really matter how you get there
Some designers do not specify which increase they want you to use...I was just saying if the OP was using Kfb, she needed to be wary of her count and perhaps this is what was throwing her off. If you are doing Kfb you are increasing by one stitch BUT when knitting into the backof the stitch you need to count this as one of the followng K2 stitches.

· Registered
3,292 Posts
knit4ES said:
p&n.... I follow your explanation. I apologize if I spoke too harshly.... I've recently interacted with some folks who have been confused when someone mentioned kfb when the pattern says m1.
and that has been happening more recently, it seems to me.
then, today, (because of the planets' alignment or because my dog was snappish)... I spoke up. (note that it couldn't be that I am a little off :) )
Usually designers specify the type of increase to use ... like a m1 or kfb (there's also others) and if someone is doing a pattern for the 1st time, I think it's important to just follow the instructions.... especially with someone as expert as MM.
Every once in a while I'll see something where a designer will say something like "inc 1".... meaning choose an increase and do it.... but
that's usually on old patterns
I have made several of this designers all in ones and do not recall any specific way specified to do the M1's...so I have gone to Ravelry and looked up this pattern in question and do not see where she says anything other than to M1...this is why I questioned in my first post as to how OP was doing the increases which led to my explanation.

· Registered
3,292 Posts
pinsandneedles said:
I have made several of this designers all in ones and do not recall any specific way specified to do the M1's...so I have gone to Ravelry and looked up this pattern in question and do not see where she says anything other than to M1...this is why I questioned in my first post as to how OP was doing the increases which led to my explanation.
I hit the send button too fast as I also wanted to say that I hope your day got better as it progressed. I think we all have one of those every now and then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom