Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
27,139 Posts
I think it is easier for people to understand our answers when we use the pattern as written instead of changing M1 to KFB or knit one below. You can indeed change the number of stitches Knit and do a KFB instead of a M1. Many people just assume you can replace one stitch for the other without making adjustments. Patterns are often written using the M1 or KFB as it fits in with the design.

· Registered
27,139 Posts
Exactly right. I totally agree with you. It happens so often that the count is off because of using a different increase than the designer wanted.
pinsandneedles said:
Some designers do not specify which increase they want you to use...I was just saying if the OP was using Kfb, she needed to be wary of her count and perhaps this is what was throwing her off. If you are doing Kfb you are increasing by one stitch BUT when knitting into the backof the stitch you need to count this as one of the followng K2 stitches.

· Registered
27,139 Posts
Years ago I never saw a M1. I learned what it was on Paradise. Your right the stitch count problem comes up very often on here. I agree with what you have said. Oh, I did NOT mean I agree you are harsh.
knit4ES said:
p&n.... I follow your explanation. I apologize if I spoke too harshly.... I've recently interacted with some folks who have been confused when someone mentioned kfb when the pattern says m1.
and that has been happening more recently, it seems to me.
then, today, (because of the planets' alignment or because my dog was snappish)... I spoke up. (note that it couldn't be that I am a little off :) )
Usually designers specify the type of increase to use ... like a m1 or kfb (there's also others) and if someone is doing a pattern for the 1st time, I think it's important to just follow the instructions.... especially with someone as expert as MM.
Every once in a while I'll see something where a designer will say something like "inc 1".... meaning choose an increase and do it.... but that's usually on old patterns

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom