Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I started to make the Victorian Spring Scarf and I looked at the graph and said "No problem, haven't worked off a graph before, but it looks easy enough." Sure, there were no special instructions but it is obvious that Row 3 had an extra 2 stitches.
Am I supposed to increase two stitches? If so, I gather I just decrease if necessary for the other rows (5 and 7) and decrease if necessary for row 1 again.
Now I know why I like written instructions. I did see someone on Ravelry had an errata but another person said the pattern was correct.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/victorian-scarf
There is also supposed to be written instructions somewhere but I downloaded from Knitpics. It is just 21 stitches 2 rows SS and then 18 repeats of chart and finish with 2 rows SS.
Easy enough...mmm

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I love the scarf. You yarn over 8 times and decrease 6 stitches by the looks of this so you are 2 stitches over. which is the right amount of stitches for the third row.

You are K1, yo, K1, Sl1 K2 tog, yo, K2 tog, K3, yo, K1, Yo, K3, K2 tog, yo, K3 tog, yo, K1, yo, K1 which is what I worked out above.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well see - I read that sl1,k2tog,psso,k2tog for that squiggle (reading their directions).

mavisb said:
I love the scarf. You yarn over 8 times and decrease 6 stitches by the looks of this so you are 2 stitches over. which is the right amount of stitches for the third row.

You are K1, yo, K1, Sl1 K2 tog, yo, K2 tog, K3, yo, K1, Yo, K3, K2 tog, yo, K3 tog, yo, K1, yo, K1 which is what I worked out above.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Follow the symbols on the chart. I haven't worked with a chart for nearly a year and that was when Gallina came to Knitters Guild to teach us to knit lace shawls. This is what her charts look similar to.

I hope you can understand the chart better now. I wrote it out so you could understand it better. Good luck
Mavis

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see my mistake. The three prong squiggle I read as slip 1, K2 tog, psso, K2 tog. When what they are really saying is to slip the 1 stitch over the last K2 tog stitch - not K2 tog again.
So the first row is:
K1,YO,K1,YO,SL1,K2tog,PSSO,YO,SSK,K3,YO,K1,YO,K3,K2tog,YO,K3tog,YO,K1,YO,K1.
What I don't get is if that is correct why don't they show the increase on Row 2? Well, I suppose they do include Row 2 and some charts don't.

·
Premium Member
80,985 Posts
sweetsue said:
I see my mistake. The three prong squiggle I read as slip 1, K2 tog, psso, K2 tog. When what they are really saying is to slip the 1 stitch over the last K2 tog stitch - not K2 tog again.
So the first row is:
K1,YO,K1,YO,SL1,K2tog,PSSO,YO,SSK,K3,YO,K1,YO,K3,K2tog,YO,K3tog,YO,K1,YO,K1.
What I don't get is if that is correct why don't they show the increase on Row 2? Well, I suppose they do include Row 2 and some charts don't.
All your even-numbered rows are worked plain - no increases or decreases.

Lace knitting is fun! Keep at it! :-D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom