Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a crochet pattern by Paton. It is for DC-double crochet. But the few photos on Ravelry all look like SC. No wonder my bag looks different and is so big. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I am guessing that you are in USA? The pattern says dc but it is written in UK/Aus terminology. In US terms, dc is sc. You can usually check which terminology is being used by the number of ch at the beginning of the row. If it says "ch1, dc to end of row", then it will be US sc.
Assuming that you are in USA, the stitch equivalents are
UK/Aus US
dc sc
tr dc
dtr tr
and so on.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I have always assumed it's because, when you make a UK dc (US sc), you have two loops on the hook when you've put the hook in the specified stitch and pulled the yarn through. For a UK tr (US dc) you have 3 loops on the hook (yarn over, insert hook in specified stitch and pull loop through). Just my opinion....

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
My late mum explained it as her British great-aunt had explained it to her: in the UK, crochet stitches are categorized by how many time one pulls through a loop in order to finish the stitch. So a UK double crochet is an American single crochet, a UK triple or treble crochet is a US double crochet, and so on.

In the US one doesn't count the loop pulled up through a previous row/stitch as one of the 'pull through' loops, since every stitch starts out with pulling up a loop through a previous stitch. Americans only count how many pulls it takes to finish the stitch after the initial loop is pulled up.

Sometimes the gauge will clue you in, since if you do US stitches when you should be doing UK stitches, the gauge will never be right row-wise--which is what you found out :-( But now you should be able to fly right through the bag :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, that is the pattern. and no gauge is given.(that I can see). Also, the given measurements--4X59 " apply to what? I guess 4" is the bottom width. But the other? Circumference?

Fortunately needle size is usually given in both on hooks. And needles.
Also the hook size will vary with what yarn you use. I am using Sugar'n Cream from my stash and a larger hook so it will be bigger .

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Sophieroz said:
This is a crochet pattern by Paton. It is for DC-double crochet. But the few photos on Ravelry all look like SC. No wonder my bag looks different and is so big. Can anyone help?
You probably need to do UK DCs which are US SCs.
This is how, many years ago, I found out there was a difference in stitch names, when my work looked nothing like the picture.
Patons (or as it was called originally, Paton and Baldwins) was a UK company so their stitch names will be UK.
Hope this helps.
Have fun.
Colleen
PS, Just looked at the pattern and it surely is worked in UK DCs, (US SCs) and the reason I can tell is because, on the first row after the CH, you work the first stitch into the 2nd CH from the hook and when you complete the row, it says CH1 which does not count as a stitch. You work the first DC (SC) into the very first stitch.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More questions. Why bother when working in the round with ending a round by turning and going back the other way? (after joining with a ss, of course) Why not join with a slip stitch, chain one, and Sc in first stitch, and go on ? Of course as you continue around, you don't SC into the ss, or chain one. I tried it both ways and it looks the same to me.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
If you join with a ss, ch1 and then carry on working in the same direction, you will have a noticeable seam which will start to "lean" to one side. If you join with a ss, ch1, then turn, the seam is less noticeable and doesn't lean.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I understand. But--I didn't notice a visible seam as I did when I was turning and going back the other way. That was one reason I did a swatch.. The leaning or slanting--will let you know. I'm not sure it matters on this tote bag.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom