Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to knit this pattern http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/iceland-party-ruana-jacket.html
that was posted on this forum, but I do not understand this part with cast off 54 sts then later cast on 54 sts. What kind of shape will it be? Is cast off another term for bind off? Or hold stitches on stitch holder or circular needle to later begin knitting with?

Jacket
Cast on 132 sts and begin knitting starting from row 2 of pattern stitch. Work until piece is 17” long and ending with row 1. Cast off 54 sts and work for 7 ½” (this is the neck). Then ending with row 1 cast on 54 sts and work a further 17” ending with either row 2 or 5 bind off all sts.

Note:This Jacket is knit in one piece and from side to side. The back of the jacket is longer than the front this is what makes the nice drape.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Yes,patty, cast off is the same as bind off. Don't put these stitches on a holder. Unless the pattern tells you to.
casey

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
alpacapatty said:
I would like to knit this pattern http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/iceland-party-ruana-jacket.html
that was posted on this forum, but I do not understand this part with cast off 54 sts then later cast on 54 sts. What kind of shape will it be? Is cast off another term for bind off? Or hold stitches on stitch holder or circular needle to later begin knitting with?

Jacket
Cast on 132 sts and begin knitting starting from row 2 of pattern stitch. Work until piece is 17” long and ending with row 1. Cast off 54 sts and work for 7 ½” (this is the neck). Then ending with row 1 cast on 54 sts and work a further 17” ending with either row 2 or 5 bind off all sts.

Note:This Jacket is knit in one piece and from side to side. The back of the jacket is longer than the front this is what makes the nice drape.
Yes, bind off those stitches-the portion that is knit after the cast off and before the cast on is the portion which will rest between the shoulders-back of the neck.
Ruanas are wonderfully versatile wraps and can be either extremely warm or nicely light depending on the fabric.
It might help if you take paper and pencil and sketch the shape---you can see how it will drape over shoulders.
Hope I have helped.

:) :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've made two similar patterns and yes. You bind them off and then re cast them. Picture your finished cape (Ruana) as a shape with a "slit" in the middle of one side where you will put your head. The two edges will fall across your chest and stomach and the other half will drape elegantly over your shoulders and back. They stay pul very well, by the way. I live in mine!!!!!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
IF and ONLY IF there is a collar of some kind can you put those "cast off" needles on a holder - then it will be easier when you have to pick them back up. IF this is the actual neck edge, bind off loosely. Hope this help.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm not surprised you are confused! Here in the UK we cast off (because we also cast on). In the US you bind off, but I'm not sure off hand what you call starting. What do Australians and Canadians do?

But in this pattern she casts off for the neck and binds off at the end, so I can understand why you thought it was something different.

·
Registered
499 Posts
When we were driving in Ireland last year, we rented a GPS with the car, and it took us two days to realize that "SLIP ROAD" is British for what we call an Off Ramp. We would hear the GPS say "Turn left onto Slip Road" and we kept missing our exit because we were looking for a sign that said "Slip Road".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom