Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!! Can someone help me with this scarf pattern
http://www.oceanwindknits.ca/free-knitting-patterns/tweed-scarf-knitting-pattern/. I'm relatively new to knitting. I cannot understand why the pattern asks that you begin the first repeat at row 2. Furthermore, does it mean to repeat , at row 2, after I knit the entire 18 row sequence? In this instance, in the first repeat, I assume I would need to eliminate row 5 also.
Thank you so much for your help!!! :) :D

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Your first pattern repeat will start with row 2 and work through row 18. Rows 5-8 will be worked following the instructions for rows 1-4.
It is only on the first pattern repeat that row 1 is omitted. Hope this helps. Happy knitting.

·
Registered
27,128 Posts
I agree with you entirely. I am just wondering why row 1 is skipped only in the first repeat. Sometimes working the pattern gives me the answer. jinx
kacey64 said:
Your first pattern repeat will start with row 2 and work through row 18. Rows 5-8 will be worked following the instructions for rows 1-4.
It is only on the first pattern repeat that row 1 is omitted. Hope this helps. Happy knitting.

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
Sometimes it is to help with the continuity of the pattern that you start at different places like this one starting at row 2. A lot of times there are set up rows that start a pattern stitch out so that after those are completed you continue the pattern with the original pattern. It all works out in the end!! Good luck with your knitting, and never be afraid to ask questions, especially on Knitting Paradise!

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
After you cast on, you do a "set up" row - this "set up" row is very similar to the first row, except you do an increase. This helps to keep the shape of the bottom of the scarf.

So, you cast on, then knit one row, then do the set up row, then start the pattern as written with row 2.

Carry on as written to row 18. Then, go back and start with row 1, then 2, then 3, etc. to 18 again. Then 1 to 18, then 1 to 18, until the scarf is pretty much as long as you want it to be.

Then, knit rows 1 to 9. Then do the final row as written at the end of the pattern. (this will be like that set up row you did at the start). Then, cast off.

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom