Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made two sweaters that require you to put stitches on aside for the sleeves and continue with the body. When I go back to finish the sleeves by then knitting the stitches I have set aside on a loop of yarn, I get a hole under the armpit. Am I not knitting the first round tightly or what? I am about to that stage again on a shrug and would like to prevent it happening again. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
I always cast on a few stitches for the underarm area when I pick up the stitches from the holder. I leave a tail and just sew a few stitches together to close the area completely.
Have you checked youtube for a video? I am so sure they ust have one there to help you solve this issue.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I do the same thing. I pick up about 4 stitches under the arm and knit them together in the next two rows. Also leave a longer tail so I can darn up any holes that appear.

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
I often pick up a few extra from what the pattern says, then on the next round decrease back to the number I should have.

ALso, using the yarn tail to close up any area needing it.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I do the same as others have suggested - pick up some extra stitches, from under the last live stitches, and decrease in the next round to even out the numbers. And if there is still a bit of looseness or a small hole, I fix that up when I weave in the tail(s).

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I pick up 3-4 extra stitches on each side of the marker for end of round (depending on how many are required to be picked up). Then on the next round I knit 2 together until I have the correct # of stitches.

For example, on a sweater I'm knitting now. pick up 6 sts under arm, placing 3 on each side of end of round marker. I pick up an additional 3 sts on each side (total now 12). On the next round, I knit 2 together, leaving the original 6 needed.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your replies. That solves the one issue with the sleeves. The shrug has me placing stitches on hold and then going back to put ribbing on the edges and sew seam. It is lacy and came out too lacy under the arm where joined to body. I am knitting the stitches under the arm a little tighter as I continue on with the body and hope that solves that issue. This is not in the round, the other was, but both were knit on larger needles for "lacy" look.

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
If it is too lacy, knit a few together. Heck sometimes we have to fUDGE to get the look we want. There really aren't rules. So try decreasing a few sts and see if you like the result.
montgal said:
Thank you all for your replies. That solves the one issue with the sleeves. The shrug has me placing stitches on hold and then going back to put ribbing on the edges and sew seam. It is lacy and came out too lacy under the arm where joined to body. I am knitting the stitches under the arm a little tighter as I continue on with the body and hope that solves that issue. This is not in the round, the other was, but both were knit on larger needles for "lacy" look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom