Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished crocheting my first ruffled scarf with Starbella and it is beautiful, but I had a huge problem with the yarn twisting so it was difficult to "spread out" as I was using it. Has anyone else figured out a good way to keep it from twisting? I started from the center of the skein as suggested, but that only helped for a short time. I ended up sitting on the floor and holding the "spread out" part with my toe so it wouldn't twist up again. I have one more skein to use, but it will be awhile before I try "my patience" again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I use a size 19straight needle,i take the top loop(one you knit) and weave it back and forth on the needle. It takes a bit of time (do in front of tv or on phone) but when you start to knit it comes off big needle with hole already open and quicker and easier to do.
Hope that is clear. I've made 3dozen so far.

·
Registered
27,128 Posts
That is an amazing idea. Thanks for sharing. I let it roll around on the floor and do not have a lot of problem, but I am going to try your idea. Thanks for sharing.
cathie02664 said:
I use a size 19straight needle,i take the top loop(one you knit) and weave it back and forth on the needle. It takes a bit of time (do in front of tv or on phone) but when you start to knit it comes off big needle with hole already open and quicker and easier to do.
Hope that is clear. I've made 3dozen so far.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
wrap it around s0mething like an empty paper towel roll, I roll mine on a childs book, so then it is spread out, and doesn't tangle

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I've tried all the methods mentioned here; and, considering the time spent on prepping yarn, I have decided to just open up the yarn as I go and not fight it.

It is certainly not the fastest knitting, and I sometimes get frustrated with the speed--or lack thereof--but if I'm going to knit with this yarn at all, that's the way I will continue to handle it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I put the yarn in a large plastic jar and start from the outside. As you go you kind of swirl the yarn around a bit and it works just fine. I do not have to stop and rewind it or straighten it out. So far I have done three scarves this way.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I heard someone mention dampening a paper towel or washcloth and keeping it nearby to moisten your fingers with. I have also put on some hand lotion -- nothing too greasy or sticky -- this helps keep your fingers from being too dry and you can push the yarn along better.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I knit with this yarn just from the skein and have no difficulty with it whatsoever. In an evening, I can do a scarf. One trick I do use, is since it's only 8 stitches wide, I use my points from my Boye knitting set (size 8) no caps or cords, just the points. And, as I knit, I open a couple of inches and kind of loop my index finger of my right hand into the next "knit" stitch. I don't know if this will be of help to any of you. But, good luck. Katy

·
Registered
522 Posts
What I find works best is to alternate your turns at the end of each yarn. One time, I turn the needle towards me; next row I turn the needle away from me. I do not have twisting when I use this method. I believe the twisting comes from turning the work (needle) in the same direction every row.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom