Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
That means the pattern consists of 2 stiches plus and additional 7. So if you wanted to enlarge the pattern it would be 2+7=9, 4+7=11. 6+7=13. So 2x's the number of repeats you want plus and additional 7 at the end of your cast on. You will only add the 7 stitches once.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
That is confusing when you first start knitting but it is really easy to calculate. Multiple of two as you know are 2,4,6,8, and on up. After you have that number, add seven. So if you had, say 100, a multiple of two, you would add seven more stitches to your pattern. I hope this explains the formula to you.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
that referrs to the pattern. The pattern requires 2 stitches, the plus 7 would be for the finish border.
So the cast on would be divisable by 2 with 7 stitches left over.
If a pattern said 5sts plus 2, it would mean the cast on stitches required would be divisable by 5, plus 2 extra sts
(45 + 2 = 47 would be the required number of stitches to cast on)

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Linda-It is very easy to adjust the width if your project when the pattern tells you to cast on a multiple of x stitches plus x stitches. For every repeat of the pattern, you need to cast on a multiple of x number of stitches (in your pattern's case, a multiple of two stitches so 2,4,6,8,etc) plus you will (only one time) cast on an additional number of stitches (in your pattern's case, seven additional stitches) stitches. Usually the "plus aditional" stitches will be used on the edges.Denise

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I remember when this was so confusing for me to... this forum is great because the basic questions are answered because they are the same questions we all have when learning certain things... silly me I thought that I knew how to knit because I could knit and purl... little did I know that there is ton's and ton's more to learn... LOL and I have learned it all right here.. in January it will be 2 years and I'm still learning all the time..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom