Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Hi - never made gloves before (have made many socks, so am used to knitting on 4/5 dpn's).
Tried this pattern from Ravelry
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter08/KSPATTblackrose.php

And all fine except for the thumbhole bit!
It's the bit where you turn & knit back & forth, after casting off the thumbhole.

Well I did as they said, but the problem came when joining up again - I fould I had a hole between the thumb and the pattern piece to the right ( RH glove).

Hope you can understand all that!!
What am I doing wrong please?
Hope one of you knowledgeable gals on here can help.

Attachments

Did you try picking up more stitches then suggested and then decreasing back to the correct number of stitches in the next row? I find that this helps with the hole dilemma.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Actually guys, I think what I did was when I did the 'back & forth' bit, I should have incorporated the body stitches in the thumb thingy!!
Watch this space - will try again ( 4th time - Aaaaargh) it ain' gonna beat me lol

I too have found that simply picking up one or more stitches in that area than the pattern calls for is the best solution to these little holes that are left in lots of places similar to this. You can decrease gradually back to the original number and it fits right into the pattern.

When picking up the stitches for thumb pick 2 extra St one on each side to avoid holes. On the next row u decrease the same St knit 2 together on first increase and ssk on the second increase. This will give an even decreases on both sides and you will have no holes. happy knitting.

I too ran into the same problem when knitting my first pair of fingerless gloves. I think you have to pull tighter when knitting this area. All the above suggestions should work and I will try them the next time.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Many thanks for all the replies/solutions to this problem.
But actually, this pattern does not call for a cast on above the cast off, as others do.
It tells you to , after the cast off, work round to the 1st cast off stitch, then turn & knit back and forth!
Well this means that when you come to join it all again, after about 5 rows, there is a gap to the left of the thumb!!
I just tried again, and incorporated the 1st stitch of the hand into it, and it's better, but still not quite right.
I also just made another pair, using another pattern (much simpler)and incorporated my own stitch (to match the honeycowl from Ravelry)
No problems!!
Tried to contact the designer to tell of my prob, but she's 'not active' on Ravelry. Hmmm.

The photo looks like an un-wrapped short row ... you have more rows on the left than on the right.

But, the pattern does not call for short rows.

Fortunately you can sew the hole shut.

Nobody on Ravelry has commented that the pattern's misleading or not correct?

Saroj said:
When picking up the stitches for thumb pick 2 extra St one on each side to avoid holes. On the next row u decrease the same St knit 2 together on first increase and ssk on the second increase. This will give an even decreases on both sides and you will have no holes. happy knitting.
Thank you. I continually learn little tips on KP.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Well, I finally cracked it - yay!!
Tweaked it a bit on the left hand one, then unpicked the right (again!!) to the thumb bit, and not TOO bad methinks.
gonna try again in a while.
Thought I'd post a pic on my diy 'blockers' - (aka marigolds stuffed with rice) lol.

Also a pic of my Honey Cowl, and f/less gloves

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom