Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one else have trouble with the utube videos timing out or buffering every 30 seconds? Any ideas what you can do I try to watch the knitting tutorials they time out so much that I can't really figure out how to follow the video instructions
Thanks

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( Yes, we do......

We're on satellite internet - it takes at least 5 seconds for the draw to get up to the satellite and back on a good day, so I have multiple URLs going ALL the time.

We're on MEDIUM net speed that Wildblue offers. We pay $76 a month for this and to get the highest package = $10 more so I won't do it as I suspect the buffering issue will still be there. Seems like the satellite may be a quart low even on a good day. @@

These are my thoughts on other things that slow the buffering down:

** Too many URLs drawing at the same time. With an important URL drawing, I make sure I don't add another url to draw info at the same time. This does seem to help.

** On an important URL, I don't leave it but take care of paperwork, etc., here at my desk. I can then monitor the draw and am still on the same page.

** I'm wondering if the PC/lappy may have too much stored on it and that slows it down.

** Perhaps a virus is involved, too but you'd think that anti-virus programs would eliminate those.

I discussed this issue with hubby who is my computer geek and he thinks none of this should matter but I've noticed that having just one url drawing, my video, does seem to help.

We're in the boonies here and close net towers have yet to be installed for us to get broadband, DSL or other high-speed net services.

DANG IT! LOL!
~~~~

sherig47 said:
Does any one else have trouble with the utube videos timing out or buffering every 30 seconds? Any ideas what you can do I try to watch the knitting tutorials they time out so much that I can't really figure out how to follow the video instructions
Thanks

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
simplest way to get better youtube speed....have more than one window open, you probably already do... now begin the youtube video...go to other window, read, search, do knitting forum stuff, whatever....check back in a few minutes....when the original video is finished, the bar under the screen will be red and the little button that moves across the bar will be on the right hand side....do NOT start over...that will just cause another slow download.... use mouse to grab the 'button' and move to the left by hand....now it will play straight through because its in your ram space already...you're not downloading, just re-viewing it.....this takes a bit of time but if you're cleaning out your email in another window, you still get to watch the video in one piece...i know it will be irritating if you're on a roll and want to see a half dozen videos, but you'll get used to going back and forth and won't even notice after a bit of practice...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom