Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble joining the cast on stitches when starting the first round on doublepointed needles especially when using 3.75mm or less. The toy I am kmitting has only 9 stitches to start with divided to three stitches on each of three needles. Not enough stitches for a circular. The stitches seem to fall off before I can start to do the first round or I have them twisted. A small number of stitches seems to give me the most trouble. Does anyone have a suggestion. I am new to the forum and would appreciate any advice out there.

·
Registered
797 Posts
More experienced knitters might have a better answer, but when I start on dpn I always knit one or two rows before I divide stitches. With so few stitches you may want to try to use three needles insted of four. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Why not do one or two rows on a straight set of needles ( or 2 dpns). Then divide onto your 3dpns and work in the round from there. You will not notice the tiny join when you complete the item. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Be sure to give that first stitch, which should always be a knit stitch on dpn's, a good tug so it brings the two needles together, then pull up the second stitch as well and you will not have gaps or falling stitches between needles. Tension is needed all the time when knitting for eveness and security.

Carol J.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
You might want to try the magic loop method. You would need a long circular needle. Divide the stitches with 4 on one needle and 5 on the other and join. Have fun!

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you cast on 10 instead of nine then you when you knit the first stitch of row one, joining the circle you take the 10th stitch and pass it over the top of the first stitch. This will give a more firm join to contend with

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
When I was new to DPN's I would knit the first four stitches with both the working yarn and the cast on tail held together (pulling very tight the first two stitches).

As you are knitting these first four stitches with two strands of yarn, you will have two loops on the needle for each of these four stitches rather than the usual one. On the next round make sure you knit both loops together for these first four stitches.

As I got a bit more confident I switched to the crossover join:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=O1pYI2KbDHk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DO1pYI2KbDHk

·
Registered
105 Posts
A trick i use in laceweight and i think its used in machine Knitting ... Knit about an inch in a thicker yarn, join stitches in a circle on double points, then do the first pattern row or round in your selected new yarn. After you are comfortably handling the pattern and new thread, carefully cut off the thicker waste yarn and thread the tail of the good yarn through the live stitches. I use this all the time when trying to cast on a few stitches on DPs. The waste yarn gives me something to hold on to as I get started. Clear as mud? Anyone else know what this trick is called? It's easier than it sounds.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Jude2444 said:
Why not do one or two rows on a straight set of needles ( or 2 dpns). Then divide onto your 3dpns and work in the round from there. You will not notice the tiny join when you complete the item. Good luck!
This was what I was going to suggest.
I have a terrible time starting out on double points with a small amount of stitches.
Knitting one or two rows and then dividing avoids stress. Jude2444 is right that you will not notice the join, but if you knit more than one or two rows or are using a thicker yarn and you do notice the join, you can always sew it up with the "tail".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom