Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done the back of y girls cardigan and now started on right front but can't get the bands to look the same it's either k2 p2 or p2 k2 can't remember anyone know from this photo please help

Attachments

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
It's a little hard to tell from your bottom picture--the knitting is squished on the needle. Work halfway across the piece, just as you have started. Now compare the back and the front--since the back is off the needles, it has "relaxed" into shape. Perhaps, once you spread out the front section it will then look the same.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Tracy, don't despair....do whatever you have been doing....did you start the front with k2--I can't tell because the end is off the photo. Is the right side of your piece facing you? you have worked approx 8 rows already. Continue as you have been doing....go 1/2 way across the piece (work will now be on 2 needles) spread it out gently without letting sts fall off the needles. Take a look at it and now compare with the back.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
OK, Tracey. Now that you have done 1/2 and piece is on 2 needles, spread it out gently and take a pic of the back ribbing and place the front ribbing below it--that way we can see what the difference is. As someone suggested, you may have K2 P2 the back and moss stitched the front. Take the pic, post it and then we can go from there.

Cute baby, by the way!

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
It does look like moss stitch. You are not lining up your knits and purls. Since you have not done much, just rip it out and start again and it will be ok next time if you line them up. If you start row 1 with K2, then you need to start row 2 with P2.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
In order to make ribbing, the knits and purls have to 'line up'. What your second photo looks like is moss stitch, where you knit what looks like a purl and purl what looks like a knit.

Your actions are identical - alternating knits/purls - you just have to make them line up.
Thanks Jessica-Jean, I didn't see the second pic when I posted

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
Hi Tracy
In my photo the cream is k2, p2 rib - uses a multiple of 4 stitches (16).

The green is k2, p2 but done on a multiple of 4 plus 2 (14) and it creates a kind of moss stitch as you have on your front band.

The red is what I think you have done on the band for the back - it is k2,p2, but it is done over a multiple of 4 stitches plus 1 (17) - which throws the rib off as it shows in your third photo. At a glance it looks as if you have 3 purls then 1 knit stitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
tracy said:
I've done the back of y girls cardigan and now started on right front but can't get the bands to look the same it's either k2 p2 or p2 k2 can't remember anyone know from this photo please help
Not being funny but one looks like rib and the other does not. If you do K2, P2 on one side you have to P2,K2 on the other. I am wondering if you have extra stitches (you finished with a K2 because of the number of sts) or did K2,P2 on both sides and they are not lining up for some reason. You will end up with a moss stitch if they don't, which is what the second one looks like. Once you have done the first row you just knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts on whatever side you are on, you really can't go wrong. :p :p

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom