Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to crochet hat with ear flaps. The pattern starts at the brim rather than the bottom or the top. You start by chaining 60 the slip stich the two ends together. Then you hdc completely around for 10 rows. I have tried this over and over and over again and I can't get the two to meet up right after I do the first hdc row Imake sure it isn't twisted but it still becomes uneven. I know it is in the way I am slip stitching it soif anyone could possibly help me I would be soooo appreciative!

Carolyn from Oregon!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea. I thought about doing that but wasn't sure it would work. I figured out I had forgotten to do a chain one before starting each new round and it seems to be working this time around. (No pun intended) I got this pattern from YouTube but unfortunately sometimes things are left out and unless you are a seasoned crocheter you don't know this.
Again thanks for your help!
Carolyn from Oregon

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I was going to say after you join with a slip stitch, you need to bring the second row up a step so the hdc's are all in a row but you found out you have to do a chain one before continuing with the hdc. Even a ch 2 might be necessary if you crochet loose. Join by slip stitching in the top of the chain.

Carol J.

·
Registered
577 Posts
scottybearNSW said:
Perhaps you could try doing a couple of rows straight and then joining up. You would only have to sew 2 rows together. This should stop any twisting and uneveness.
this method works great...no matter how hard i try i always twist the starting chain.just remember to add a "turning chain" to your starting number of chains or your stitch count will be off

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Are u sure it is just a ch1, as with hdc it should be a ch2..and yes it should say join in top of ch 2..every round

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it is rip out time again!!! It just isn't looking right at all. I am doing a "ch 1" in stitch after the "sl st". each time I start a new round/row. At that spot it now is looking kind of pointy! I wish I could figure this out as it seems every hat I want to do now starts out this way! I have watched it on You Tube but can't tell when she is inserting and she never says anything about the "ch 1". Just do 10 rows/rounds of hdc with "sl st" at the end of each.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
It will help if you send a link to the pattern so we can see what you are doing wrong, you can also go into the back hump of the beginning chain it may help you to keep track better. But without seeing the pattern I would have a hard time figuring out what you may be doing wrong. Maybe Donna Rea will be on later and she can help you.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I have started doing this due to the same problem of rows not meeting up and it works beautifully. Best of luck!
scottybearNSW said:
Perhaps you could try doing a couple of rows straight and then joining up. You would only have to sew 2 rows together. This should stop any twisting and uneveness.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
You can go around and around a cap with joining by putting a small safety pin in the first stitch and moving it up the cap as you go along. Looks like a spiral then and you always know where a new row begins. This is found in some patterns and I have used this method myself over the years. this way you don't need to join with a slip stitch and a chain to start a new row.
No one is going to stop you on the street with a magnigying glass to see how you started new rows. Enjoy your crocheting and learn as you go and make up your own patterns. Creativity starts with necessity.

Carol J.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Does your pattern call for you to join each round with a slip stitch in the top of the 1st stitch of the round? If the pattern calls for finishing by slip stitch then you would start the next round with a chain 1 for sgl crochet and chain 2 for 1/2 dbl crochet. If the pattern tells you to just move your marker and keep working the rounds in pattern then you will get a spiral affect to your stitches. I am currently making coin purses using self striping yarn. I am crocheting them in the round so when I finish a round I join by slip stitch before starting the next round. The first couple rounds looked twisted, but as I worked them they weren't. As long as you don't get your connecting join twisted you should be okay. I find it easier to join by first doing a sgl cr in each chain. You will only need to chain 1 stitch more than they tell you to for your pattern. I find it easier to not twist my chain when I can actually see the flat edge after single crocheting back.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I make my hats from the top down. I did make a hat one time that had you turn like you normally do at the connection point and that hat didn't show the funny looking stitch at the connection point. It was still crocheted in the round, you would just do you slip to attach the end of the row, do your chain(s) up and turn to go back the way you just came from. It didn't cause the angle line at the join. I have never tried to start from the bottom. Hope it works out for you. Jenny

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I noticed you said you did your chain 1 in the next stitch. That doesn't sound right. You don't do the chain 1 into a stitch, you just pull a loop through the loop on your hook.

I would do chain 2 instead of chain 1 for an hdc row, but that's another question. Either way, you just pull a loop (or 2) through the loop on your hook, and THEN go into the next stitch to work your first hdc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom