Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pattern I have been working on doesn't seem right to me was wondering if you all could take a look. I have knitted the back and the sleeves but no where does it say how to do the front of the sweater? Its driving me crazy I took it to my sewing group today to to see if we could figure out about the front of the sweater heres the pattern

Baby's First Sweater - Knit

Baby's First Sweater is easy to knit because its all in one piece. Sew the underarm and sleeve seam and you're done. Embellish with french knots and a ribbon tie.

Size:
6 months - 1 year
Chest size: 21 1/2"
Finished size: 22"

Materials:
4-ply worsted weight yarn (see note below)
Knitting needles size 8, or size necessary to obtain gauge
1 stitch holder
1 1/4 yards 3/8" satin ribbon

To complete the entire ensemble (sweater, blanket, cap and booties), you will need 15 ozs. of 4-ply worsted weight acrylic. To complete the sweater, you will need 6 ozs. of 4-ply acrylic yarn.

Gauge:
Stockinette stitch on size 8 needles--
9 stitches = 2"
6 rows = 1"

Back:

Cast on 50 stitches (sts)
Row 1: Work in Garter stitch (knit every row) for 6 rows.
Row 7: Work in Stockinette stitch (knit 1 row, purl 1 row). Work until piece measures 7 from beginning. Last row is a purl row.
Note: Width across back is 11".

Sleeve Shaping:

Cast on 24 sts at end of just worked purl (p) row.
There are now 74 sts.
Next Row: Knit (k) across row. Cast on 24 sts. There are now 98 sts.
Row 2: P across row.
Row 3: Repeat Rows 1 and 2 to 4 inches above last cast on sts. Last row is a right side row.

Neck:
Row 1: Work 39 sts and slip to stitch holder. Bind off 20 sts for neck. Work remaining 39 sts.
Row 2: Work on the 39 sts for 4 rows in Stockinette stitch (St st).
Row 6: Work across row. Increase 1 stitch (st) at end of row for neck edge, and 1 st at same edge every other row 2 times more. There are now 42 sts.
Next Row: Work 42 sts for 2 rows in St st. Cast on 9 sts at end of last row for front edge. There are now 51 sts.
Row 11: Knit 5 for front border, purl to last 5 sts, knit 5.
Row 12: K.
Row 13: Repeat Rows 11 and 12 until sleeve measures 8, end at cuff edge.
Next Row: Bind off 24 sts at beginning of row, work across row. Working in Garter st at front edge work on the 27 sts to match back to Garter st border. Then k 6 rows. Bind off. Slip sts off holder onto needle with the point of the needle at neck edge. Join yarn and work across 39 sts. Work 3 more rows (4 rows worked).
Next Row: Increase 1 st at beginning of row, and 1 st at same edge every other row twice more. End at cuff edge. There are now 42 sts.
Next Row: Work across row in St st. Cast on 9 sts at end of row for front edge. There are now 51 sts. Finish same as other side. Bind off.

Neckband:

With right side facing, starting at right front edge, pick up and k 13 sts along neck edge, pick up and k 20 sts along back of neck edge, pick up and knit remaining 13 sts along left front neck edge. There are now 46 sts.

Next Row: k across row for 6 rows. Bind off.

Finishing: Sew underarm and sleeve seams. Trim with ribbon ties. Embellish with French Knots in contrasting colors (optional).

Tammy

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
You will work the neck then cast on stitches on one side to make one side of the front. Row 11 below Neck tells you this is one side of the front. Keep working the pattern and follow all directions as written and you will get a finished sweater. It's knit in one piece from back to front to eliminate shoulder seams and you have the sleeves knitted on, too. No sleeves to set in.
casey

·
Registered
939 Posts
Have to agree with the others! I just did a sweater very similar to this one and as weird as it seams it all works out....just like magic!! You will eventually understand how it all comes together once you get to a certain spot and it will come clear to you!! Magic is all I can say!!:)

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
hi Tammy- I think this is called top-down and since I discovered this way of knitting in one piece with minimal sewing, thats all I do. I don't want anymore trying to fit and sew in the sleeves. It really isn't hard once you can see how it is going to go together, once you work far enough you should see how you start knitting the body. Enjoy and please ask if any quesitons.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Nannie Bea you are so sweet to knit this along with Tammy. Thats what I love about KP. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for the folks on here. :thumbup:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hey I found some yarn in my stash and I am going to start this today and see what happens... hopefully there is NO GLITCH!!! I will post again once I get farther into it!! and then if I can finish it I will post a picture of it!!!

Here goes .... stay tuned!! :)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
BTRFLY said:
hi Tammy- I think this is called top-down and since I discovered this way of knitting in one piece with minimal sewing, thats all I do. I don't want anymore trying to fit and sew in the sleeves. It really isn't hard once you can see how it is going to go together, once you work far enough you should see how you start knitting the body. Enjoy and please ask if any quesitons.
This pattern is knit flat, back bottom to front bottom and then seamed. I'm with you, BTRFLY, I love top down sweaters with sleeves knit in the round. Totally seamless! Not what this pattern is, though. ;-)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've just heard I'm to be a great grand-ma! Think I'll have a go at this one too. As a beginning I "cut and pasted" onto Word and it worked out perfectly. With a yellow back ground and nice clear printing. Off to a good start!

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Tammy, I worked this pattern twice, once 34 yrs ago as my first knitting project, and again last year for my great, great nephew. I had help with the first one, and the 2nd time I had to figure it out on my own. I have been knitting almost daily for the last 18 mos, but not at all between these two sweaters.So, I'm an experienced newbie, LOL. The only problem I found with the pattern is the edging on the sleeves. If you follow the pattern as it is written, the edging on the sleeves doesn't go all the way around. Did you adjust for that when you made your sleeves , or did you discover, as I did, after they were half done, that it added that bit to the pattern. Keep working if the sleeves are finished the front is there to be worked. It tells you to work in pattern to match the back. After, I finished the piece, and before I sewed up the seams, I did some garter stitch at the sleeve edge to match the rest of the edging. Your doing great! Unfortunately, it's a glitch in the pattern. For those of you who are doing the pattern for the 1st time just allow for the edging on the sleeve from the beginning.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello everyone I am so happy to learn there is a glitch in the pattern and yes grandmaknitstoo that is where I stopped at the sleeves lol I was like whats going on here after I allready took it off the needles. I'm at a standstill with it. Thank you all so much for your help I even took it to my sewing group to see if we could figure it out lol.. I really really wanted this to turn out. I am forever greatful for your kind responses I will post the booties and matching cap as well. I found the pattern on www.craftyarncouncil.com .. Congratulations Niftynon on being a great grandma thats wonderful. And stubbynose I can't wait to see a pic I'm afraid to post one of mine since the sleeves are wrong LOL. And NannieBea thank you so much to I hope you have fun with it I thought of starting another one LOL mom of course thinks I did something wrong with the sleeves now I can prove her wrong... Thanks again ladies :)) you made my day so much better

Tammy

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To NannieBea :

Here is the pattern for cap booties and blanket..

Baby's First Ensemble - Knit

Wrap your favorite baby in this easy-to-knit (honest!) ensemble. In May we featured the all-in-one piece sweater embellished with french knots, and this month we complete the outfit with matching cap, booties and blanket for a look that every fashionable baby will want to show off this spring!

Size:
6 months - 1 year
Chest size: 21 1/2"
Finished size: 22"

Materials:
4-ply worsted weight yarn (see note below)
Knitting needles size 8, or size necessary to obtain gauge
1 stitch holder
1 1/4" yards 3/8" satin ribbon

Note:

To complete the entire ensemble (sweater, blanket, cap and booties), you will need 15 ozs. of 4-ply worsted weight acrylic. Baby's First Sweater is featured separately.

Gauge:
Stockinette stitch on size 8 needles--

9 stitches = 2"

6 rows = 1"

Cap
Cast on 50 stitches (sts).
Row 1: Work in Garter stitch (knit every row) all stitches for 18 rows.
Row 19: Work in Stockinette stitch {(St st) knit one row, purl one row} for 16 rows.
Row 34: Bind off 19 sts at beginning of row, knit to end. There are now 31 sts.
Row 35: Bind off 19 sts at beginning of row, purl (p) to end. There are now 12 sts.
Row 36: Work in St st for 24 rows. Bind off. Sew the 19 bound-off sts to each side of narrow strip on wrong side of work.

Neckband

With right side facing, at left front, pick up and k 60 sts. Knit 4 rows. Bind off. Trim with ribbon ties.

Booties
Cast on 40 sts.
Rows 1-4: Work in Stockinette stitch {(St st) knit one row, purl one row}.
Row 5: Knit (k) 16, k 2 together (tog) k 4, place marker on needle, k 2 tog, k 16.
Note: Be sure to slip markers every row.
Row 6: Purl (p) to 2 stitches (sts) before marker, p 2 tog, p 4, p 2 tog, p to end of row.
Row 7: K to 2 sts before marker, k 2 tog, k 4, k 2 tog, knit to end of row.
Rows 8-13: Repeat Rows 6 and 7, 3 more times. There are now 22 sts.
Rows 14-18: Work in St st for 5 rows.
Row 19: K for 6 rows. Bind off. Make other bootie the same way.

Finishing:

Sew seam at back and sole.

Blanket

Approximate Measurements:

24" by 29"
Cast on 110 stitches (sts).
Rows 1-6: Knit (k) all sts.
Row 7: K 5, purl (p) 100, k 5.
Row 8: K across row.
Repeat rows 7 and 8 until piece measures 27" or desired length.
Next Row: K 6 rows. Bind off.

Note:

To personalize your knitted baby ensemble, decorate with French knots, cross stitch or duplicate stitches.

Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy and completeness of these instructions. We cannot be responsible, however, for variances in individual techniques, human errors or typographical mistakes.

©2007 Craft Yarn Council of America
I hope you enjoy it I thought if I did the sweater first the rest would be easier LOL :)) Happy knitting Tammy

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Stubbynose have you started knitting the sweater yet? I was wondering as I am still having trouble with the front part of the sweater. I think I've just not knitted down far enough from the sleeve yet I worry I'll do it wrong. Anyway was just wondering if you had the chance to start it I'd really like to learn how to do this properly to make little sweaters and layette sets as this one. I hope your having a nice day

Tammy

·
Registered
87 Posts
hi Tammy its nannie Bea, sorry i took so long to answer you but sometimes life gets in the way of my knitting. I own a daycare, and i teach 2 nights a week in a collage. so I am one busybea. Any way this is what I did and it worked out fine, when its says cast off 20 sts for neck, i just put then on a holder. then when it saidknit 5 for front border purl to last 5 knit5 I did not. I knit the 5 on the front border, but not on the sleeve edge, when i was finished the sweater I picked up sts along the sleeve and knit 5 rows, then sewed it togather. workedout fine, started the second one. hope this helps

·
Registered
939 Posts
No Tammy I was going too then we have had a death in our neighborhood and have been busy with that instead. I am hearing there is a problem with the sweater now so I am leery of starting it as I just had to rip out an entire sweater that had no solution for a fix so I am done with sweaters that need to be fixed!! I want a sweater that is going to be problem free for a bit!! it is so maddening when one is so close to being done and find out there is no solution to fix it!! Grrrr... So I am on the search for a new pattern. I hope you can finish it now that there seems to be a solution to the problem. I will try it someday but I need a trouble free pattern for a bit.....one bad pattern for me a month is way more than I need!!! Good luck!!!

Tammy said:
Hi Stubbynose have you started knitting the sweater yet? I was wondering as I am still having trouble with the front part of the sweater. I think I've just not knitted down far enough from the sleeve yet I worry I'll do it wrong. Anyway was just wondering if you had the chance to start it I'd really like to learn how to do this properly to make little sweaters and layette sets as this one. I hope your having a nice day

Tammy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom