Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I love to knit and crochet. I just started knitting, pretty much taught myself, but I crochet up a storm. I usually crochet all winter and then come the spring and summer I bring my things to a flea market close to where I live, rent a table for $5 and sell my afghans and whatever else I have made. I then take the money I make and send 75% of it to a no kill animal shelter where I live. I also volunteer at this shelter and love it. I'm a big animal lover and since I can't have all the animals I see I spend much of my time helping out at the shelter. I'm currently studying to be a vet assistant so I can do more with the animals than I already do.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi from Jersey,

Welcome! I'm glad to hear about helping the animals. I have a cream 10-month-old Pomeranian named Foxie Lady (This is our 4th dog, we have had Yorkies in the past but decided to get a different breed) and a Parakeet named baby.

We live in and area that has a woods (across the street) so we have as many as 12 deer, rabbits, squirrels and all kinds of birds. Most of the time we see only 3-6 deer. I love feeding the birds ad watching them.

We live in town (believe it or not) but this area is away from the busy streets so it offers a place for the animals and birds to hang out.

Jenny :roll:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I give you :thumbup: :thumbup: for what you do. I wish there were more people out there that loved animals this much. I have 4 yorkies and have learned so darn much with these guys. How anyone ........anyone with their right mind could look into those eyes and do any kind of harm is beyond me. I go over board with mine (I'm the first to admit) but.. if they didn't belong to me someone out there would have mistreated them for some of the "tricks" they pull around here. If I see something chewed up I always tell them ,"you're lucky I own you!"........... you know I think they understand! :twisted:
anyhow...welcome to the forum.. :D

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
For many years I was involved in showing Siberian Huskies and Akita's. I was active in the Siberian Husky rescue in my area at the time (outside of Chicago). It's very upsetting to see how easily people "dump" pets.

I had a "diva" Siberian...the only Husky in the world that HATED snow and cold weather..if it rained she would delay going out to potty until her eyeballs were yellow..she lived to the ripe old age of 22! During the last few years of her life..she would get up on my son's water bed...just over the heater..and if I walked into his room...she would put her tail over her nose, close her eyes and try to "hide". I still miss her......20 years later...she was a rescue dog!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I honestly would give my life for mine. they would do the same for me. those who do not have pets don't know what they are missing. I can't stand it when I see a dog tied up out side. empty water and food bowls and ribs sticking out all over. They only want them for.... oh I didn't mean to hijack this thread.. I get emotional about this subject.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Trust me the animals understand completely when we talk to them. I have 3 cats and a pug and when I talk to them they know exactly what I'm saying. I am helping the local animal shelter for a couple of reasons.
1) I went overboard trying to save the cats around my house so they wouldn't get hit by cars or freeze outside when the weather was bad. It turned out that I ended up with well over 25 cats in my house and the local no kill shelter came and picked them up and found them great homes.
2) This is one of 4 no kill shelters in our area that really does care about the animals they take in. They never ask for money for a donation but they do ask for food, liter, etc.
3) It's my way of giving back to those who have gone out of their way to help me and the animals that have been left behind.
If people spent more time learning about these animals instead of abusing them the world would be a better place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jenny,

Someone has to help the animals. They can't do it themselves. All they want is love and to belong to someone who isn't going to abuse them. I inherited my daughter's Pug because her and my son in law are moving and they can't have the dog. Rather than have her give him up to someone who doesn't understand him or doesn't really want him I told her I would keep him. I've been living with her for 8 months because my husband and I ran into a little bit of bad luck and now that we're back on our feet we are more than capable of taking care of her dog. He's really a good boy. He just looks at you with those big sad eyes and you just melt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's hard when you lose a pet. They become a part of your family. It's like having a child to take care of. The only difference is they can't really tell you what they want or what's bothering them. It's like a guessing game. But after having your dog or cat for a certain amount of time you learn their body language and you can tell when something just isn't right or when they are happy that you're there for them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What gets me are the commercials for the abused animals. How can anyone abuse these poor defenseless animals? Someone should do to them what they do to the animals. See how they like it. I would eventually like to open some type of pet adoption/shelter of my own and really screen deep before letting someone adopt them. I think I would be worse than DYFS when it comes to taking care of pets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom