Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
23,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Hi I'm new here.. I followed a few links and ended up here.. I'm not real sure what to expect from this site but I'm looking forward to exploring everything.. I am teaching myself to use double ended needles... I am currently making a pair of mittens.. so far so good.. I eventually want to knit a pair of socks... I use to be the type of crafter that just really wanted to get to the finished project as fast as possible and over the last year or so I have learned to enjoy the process as much as the final product... that was when I taught myself thread crochet and filet crochet. I also love to sew, I quilt, and do home decor I did make clothes when I was a teenager... but not in many years... I look forward to getting to know some of you and I'm sure there are many of us here that enjoy the same crafts... what a great way to get to know fellow crafters and to share ideas and tips ... Ronie

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi I amalso from Oregon I have knitted many years but still have much to learn,I did finally learn to make socks a couple of years ago my sister who lives in Washing taught me over the phone , boy the lines were sure hot while learning had to call her a few times a day ha , I tried to learn to quilt but I guess it wasnt one of my best hobbies I sure do admire the people who can quilt,it is such beautiful work I guess I had better stick to knitting ha I do little crocheting mainly just afghans. Like to hear from you maybe we can answer each others question if we have any. I am new to the computer so excuse mistakes Have a beautiful day love

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi I amalso from Oregon I have knitted many years but still have much to learn,I did finally learn to make socks a couple of years ago my sister who lives in Washing taught me over the phone , boy the lines were sure hot while learning had to call her a few times a day ha , I tried to learn to quilt but I guess it wasnt one of my best hobbies I sure do admire the people who can quilt,it is such beautiful work I guess I had better stick to knitting ha I do little crocheting mainly just afghans. Like to hear from you maybe we can answer each others question if we have any. I am new to the computer so excuse mistakes Have a beautiful day love

· Registered
8,310 Posts
Hello, I do most of the things you do and also quilting, but I don't design, I stick to the old tried and true patterns. I learn to quilt on a class "Quilt in a Day" and I was hooked. I'm looking forward to retirement to do it again.

· Registered
23,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi its nice to see more people from Oregon.. I love it here. Although its pretty cold this weekend.. I'm on the Southern Coast and we have had our yearly snow... none of it stuck on the beach but the mountains are white...
I finally got my number 2 DPNS so I can start my first pair of socks.. while I was waiting for the needles I found several patterns for socks that take different size needles.. I'll just work on what I have and hope it all turns out ok.. I do know that even though I have time at work to knit that I need to do something I don't need to think about ... I'm up and down so much that I loose my place...
I love the "Quilt in a day" series.. we just changed TV providers and so I don't get the channel it was on anymore but I have seen the show over and over again... I also have some of her books.. she cracks me up...LOL
I finished my mittens I was learning DPNS on and they came out pretty much the same.. its nice to have a matching pair..LOL I am also getting ready to start quilting.. I finally have some time during the week... I look forward to hearing from all of you... I would love to see some of your projects... I'll post mine as I finish them.... and as soon as I learn how.... Take Care...Ronie

· Registered
2,880 Posts
I'm thinking of starting some fingerless gloves soon. I like to have a few different projects going at once so if I get tired of one I can switch. The gloves have a cable pattern on them. The directions seem easy enough. My mom does quilting but I never have. I guess I like the portablity of knitting. I can take small projects just about anywhere. Nice to hear from you.

· Registered
12 Posts
Grandma Laurie Hi everything fine on the Oregon coast except the weather ha Im waiting for a little warmer weather I keep myself quite busy it is hard for me to sit down without haveing a project going on. I have to finish a pair of socks and a couple of other projects so you are makeing a sweater what kind are you makeing? I havent made a sweater since my son was little I dont know if I could do it now but would like to try. I have a lot of patterns but have t got the nerve doing well let me know how you are doing on your sweater have a good evening by now Sandy

· Registered
2,880 Posts
Hi Sandy, I'm knitting a hooded sweater.I'm working on the first sleeve right now. I just have the other sleeve and hood to go. It's going pretty good. It's a top down pattern by Pure and Simple. They have a lot of top down patterns - no seams to put together. I like that. The patterns I have bought from them have been $5.00. I just finished a pair of socks the other day. I need to start another pair for my sister for her birthday. I like having a few differnt projects going at one time. Have a good evening.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi grandma Laurie, How is your sweater going do you have it finished it yet? I have never made an adult sweater yet, hope so one of these days. they sound difficult to me I am working on a pillow cover, an afghan, and socks,just finished a pair of fingerless gloves for my sister,I have only made 2 pair so far. I have tried quilting but I just could not get the hang of it,quilting is so beautiful. I hope you are haveing a beautiful morning and will have a great afternoon. for some reason I cant get going this morning ha need some sunshine maybe everything is great got lots to do today guess I had better get started nice hearing from you stay in contact love to hear from you

· Registered
2,880 Posts
Hi Sandy, I've taken a break for a bit on the sweater. I got the first sleeve done. I do need to take off some of the body of the sweater though. I made it too long. I thought it would be fine but I think I'd like it better if it was some shorter. I have the first sock done for my sister. Just getting ready to start the second one her in a few minutes. We are down at Lincoln City. Went to Newport yesterday and went to the yarn shop there. Oh my! I loved it. She has a lot of yarn! It's called A Yarn for All Seasons. I got some nice soft yarn to knit a chemo hat for my friend's 13 year old daughter. I could have spent a couple of hours in there looking at yarn and patterns but my sweet husband was out in the car waiting for me. He told me to take my time but I figured after a half an hour I should not keep him waiting any more. We've had really nice days since we've been here. Rain off and on but sunny in between. Beautiful waves!

· Registered
26 Posts
Hi Ronie,
I'm not from Oregon, but would at least like to visit sometime I hear its beautiful. I'm from the foothills in South Carolina so the view isn't too bad from here most of the time. I haven't as of yet had the courage to commit yarn to knitting a pair of socks (I've only been knitting for about 2 yrs). I have however crocheted a pair of socks (one was slightly ahhm smaller than the other :oops:). The weather here today and yesterday was quite lovely in the low 80's (some people think that's hot but they haven't lived thru a 100+ degree summer :lol:)
Bye for now, Shelly

· Registered
26 Posts
By the 4th we're usually "enjoying" those 100+ degree temps I referred to so you might want to be thankful for the slow coming summer :| I'm cold-natured and its more than I can stand. Maybe that's why crocheting sun hats & halters are more prevalent here than knitting wool socks lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom