Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm Sue from Leicester, Uk.
I am knitting a Bergere de France pattern and i have a question which i hope someone may be able to answer.
The pattern instructions include increasing 1 stitch either side of 2 knitted stitches . my question is: Am I to turn 2 stitches into 4 or turn 4 stitches into 6? What do Bergere de france mean when they say inc?
This is the instruction as given in the pattern

inc 2 for raglan (=inc 1, k2, inc)

Thanks

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
sue45 said:
I am knitting a Bergere de France pattern and i have a question which i hope someone may be able to answer.
The pattern instructions include increasing 1 stitch either side of 2 knitted stitches . my question is: Am I to turn 2 stitches into 4 or turn 4 stitches into 6? What do Bergere de france mean when they say inc?

Thanks
Hello Sue and welcome to KP from the Mountains of northeastern New York state, USA

I would agree that M1 K2 M1 for the raglan slant. Is this knitted top down?

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
jvallas said:
Welcome! I'd interpret it as making 4 from the original 2. What might make it confusing is if you always do kfb as your increase, because it uses an existing stitch. Other increases do not.
:sm24: Yes, it is taking 2 stitches to begin and afterwards you have 4 stitches

From the pattern ~~ "inc 2 for raglan (=inc 1, k2, inc)" is possibly saying that it is the knitter's choice what increase to use. You could use a yarnover to do these increases. (yo, k2, yo)

I think the following is what you would do for M1's or using the knit stitches to support the increases.... but somebody please read it and correct as needed:
if you wanted to do M1 that leans toward the the K2 line that will carry up the line of the raglan: you would do (M1L, k2, M1R)
if you want to do kfb/kbf so that the "purl bump" those create will outline the K2 line that will carry up the line of the raglan: you would do ( kbf, kfb)

I would make a decision on one option, and note it on the pattern so I don't have to rethink it every time.... even though I could "read" my stitches

Welcome to KP where you'll get lots of opinions and help .....

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
sue45 said:

Thanks
As the saying goes: A picture is worth a thousand words! What pattern is it that you are making?
I have a number of Bergere's patterns books and may just have the one you're doing....
Or you could ask them directly: http://www.bergeredefrance.co.uk/contacts
I've had contact both by e-mail and by phone with their staff here in Canada and find their customer service excellent.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
You will have 4 stitches. I knit a lot of their patterns (almost exclusively for the last 2 years) and have never encountered a problem. The instructions have been very explicit. If they specify how to make the increase, i.e., make 1, use whatever increase you like. I've found it doesn't pay to overthink patterns. Go with your first impression and you'll usually be right.

·
Registered
30,096 Posts
Think of it this way: The k 2 is the raglan sleeve "seam", which goes from the neck edge to the underarm shaping. The first increase stitch every other row or round is on the righthand side of the "seam", and on the other side of it is the lefthand increase. If you think of these increases as adding stitches to the sweater front, back, and sleeves, it might make more sense to you.
There are many increases that will work here. You just want them to be mirror images of each other so they look nice. When I started knitting sweaters from the neck down, I made a long swatch with several different increases so I could see what they looked like.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Welcome to KP from out here in hot & beautiful Oregon!
It seems you've gotten the answers you need, as you always will. so best of luck on your sweater. Be sure to post a picture when it's done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. People are correct in thinking it is knitted from the top down. The pattern is called Top Down jacket ref 324.14.
The reason i am wanting to check is that making 4 stitches from 2 rather than 6 stitches from 4 affects the proportion of the garment which goes between the shoulders and leaves 8 more stitches at the end to be included in the final panel. It buttons up to the left of centre. Towards the end of the row where I need to do the increasing the pattern just says 'work to end' which means that i have no reference to check the number of expected stitches in the final panel.
I'm beginning to wish i hadn't started it now but it's a lovely pattern and gorgeous wool. I have contacted the company as suggested and waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many thanks. What you have said makes sense. If it was six stitches from four the raglan would look terrible. if it is increasing either side of the two stitches then that would look symmetrical. Thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom