Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hello, Centreville. I'm from western Loudoun--been in Paradise about two weeks and have learned a lot. I like cables too. Have you got any pix to post? Would love to see what you've done. Welcome.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get some pictures of some of the things I've done. The latest books, I been reading are: Continuous cables. I think I met my match. Because these patterns are not written down, they are charts, and this is something I've never done.
I read knitting patterns very well, because I've played piano since an early age. But still like the challenge.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Just dropped by to say hello and welcome to the forum. I love looking at pictures and dreaming of the day I might acomplish something close. Heck, I'm still proud of a dishcloth with a design incorperated that come out with straight edges.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I often find it helpful to write out the chart as a set of directions. Then you have both to refer to. Written directions often easier as you say, but it's good to have the picture too when you get a long list of Ks and Ps per row. And if I write it out, I find I really understand how the motif is accomplished and am less likely to miss inc, dec, and special stitches.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Heck, I'm still proud of a dishcloth with a design incorporated that comes out with straight edges.[/quote]

And why not? That's something I don't think I've yet accomplished.

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
I'm also from VA...near Norfolk. I'm mostly crocheting presently. But knitted many years ago. All the beautiful pictures of knitted projects are inspiring me to take up knitting again. I've crocheted 7 afghans in the last months. Two more to complete and I'm ready to re-learn knitting!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still working on doing from charts. This is new to me. But love the advanced cables, and again, the more difficult the better.
But I do this also. See many patterns where you knit panels (usually the same), and sew them together.
I've actually put them together on one needle and just read the pattern from there. Or if it harder, I'll go my MS Excel and chart the pattern out from there. Thisi has actually worked very well for me. Can be confusing in keeping with the row count and such, but it will work.
This all comes my music ability in reading knitting patterns and combining the two together. So in a sense I read a knitting pattern like a piece of music. Having that knowledge has helped me tremendously.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Welcome to the family Virginia. I also love cables. Sometimes get stumped with some of the cable patterns but, like you I love the challange. Originally from Michigan but stuck in Florida. Lots of support and assistance and information here. You will feel like you have added on extended family, like aunts and sisters and more moms than you thought possible. And it is really wonderful. And from all over the world.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll help you when I can. Send me any questions you have.
My secret to reading knitting patterns is this.
I also read music, (piano) and now play by ear, but anyways. To me reading a knitting pattern is like reading a musical piece. You have your ups and downs and such. Just understand your abbreviations and what the piece is all about. That in itself, (to me), is half the battle right there. I apply that theory to knitting, and thats why, I'm able to understand patterns.
Now the charts that they are using with cables in some of the books. Thats been something I'm learning how to tackle.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Rae in NC : )

·
Registered
43,279 Posts
Welcome from the UK. I love cable knitting and am at present making an aran sweater. I tend to find the stitches I like and then incorporate them into the sweater. I also use celtic knot designs taken from photos of jewellry, tomb stones, in fact anywhere I can find them. Enjoy the forum and happy knitting.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I LOVE Aran knitting, too. It honestly is my favorite form of knitting. I am planning a new Aran sweater right now. I want to start on it, but I have a few rows of a prayer shawl (also make in Aran knitting) to finish up first. Yes, my name really is Aran. By spelling it this way, I am the only one.

·
Registered
43,279 Posts
Aran said:
I LOVE Aran knitting, too. It honestly is my favorite form of knitting. I am planning a new Aran sweater right now. I want to start on it, but I have a few rows of a prayer shawl (also make in Aran knitting) to finish up first. Yes, my name really is Aran. By spelling it this way, I am the only one.
What a lovely name and how approriate.

·
Registered
631 Posts
PurpleV said:
Aran said:
Thank you. I love my name. I liked what you said about reading patterns. It took me a while to get used to reading the charts, but once I did, I started liking it better. Now I prefer the charts. I'm in the process of designing a sweater for myself & am going through all my books. I hadn't realized how much harder it is to read the patterns written out. I have the book, Continuous Cables, too, though I haven't made anything out of it yet.

·
Registered
43,279 Posts
Aran said:
PurpleV said:
Aran said:
Thank you. I love my name. I liked what you said about reading patterns. It took me a while to get used to reading the charts, but once I did, I started liking it better. Now I prefer the charts. I'm in the process of designing a sweater for myself & am going through all my books. I hadn't realized how much harder it is to read the patterns written out. I have the book, Continuous Cables, too, though I haven't made anything out of it yet.
I much prefer designing my own arans instead of using a pattern. What I tend to do is when I find a design that I like I knit a sample square and make a few notes about it so I gradually build up a reference library. I find this saves a lot of undoing when you start something and find you needed an extra stitch in it! Mind you I've done a lot of undoing in my time! Happy cabling. :-D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom