Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Sybil I'm a 54yr old grandmother. I'm also a policemans wife, full time nurse, mother of 6, stepmother of 4, nanna of 3 and one due in july. I'm a voulnteer grade 2 ambulance officer and state emergancie services volunteer. In my spare time I like to knit, crotchet, sew baby clothes, make aplique quilts, candlewick quilts, not so good with patch work can't seem to get the seams to line up, some cross stitch, scrapbooking, card making, gardening and spending time with my grandys, fellowshipping with other christians and going to church. My husband and I take two hollidays every year one over seas and one camping somewhere in W.A. I do a lot of night shift now that my children have grown up and left home so a lot of craft gets done during quiet times at work. Happy knitting everyone.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome Sybil from another Aussie.You certainly keep busy.I enjoy many of the crafts you do but candlewicking seems daunting and I have many things my mum crotcheted.I never learnt how.I Would love to see some of your work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi my names Sybil. I'm a 54yr old wife, mother and grandmother. My husbands a police officer and Im a nurse. We live in a small rural town in the great southern part of western australia. My husband gets transfered every few years so I use my love of craft to find and make new freinds each time we move. I'm about to start a long stint of night shift so out come the knitting needles and candlewicking. I have a few unfinished quilts that I promissed myself I would finish this year before starting anything new. It takes a long time to candlewick enough squares to make a king size quilt. Then theres all that hand quilting once its all put together. And we are getting a new grandson in july. So nights will be busy. Cheers Sybil

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((( Happy knitting to you, too Sybil!! You're a young thing, eh? I'm 62. @@

We have no grandchildren; Jealous!! Hug them a lot, eh?

Wow, you've got a resume there. Bully for you!

TTYL!
~~~~~~~

sybil said:
My name is Sybil I'm a 54yr old grandmother. I'm also a policemans wife, full time nurse, mother of 6, stepmother of 4, nanna of 3 and one due in july. I'm a voulnteer grade 2 ambulance officer and state emergancie services volunteer. In my spare time I like to knit, crotchet, sew baby clothes, make aplique quilts, candlewick quilts, not so good with patch work can't seem to get the seams to line up, some cross stitch, scrapbooking, card making, gardening and spending time with my grandys, fellowshipping with other christians and going to church. My husband and I take two hollidays every year one over seas and one camping somewhere in W.A. I do a lot of night shift now that my children have grown up and left home so a lot of craft gets done during quiet times at work. Happy knitting everyone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I get my current two candlwick porjects finished I will post a pic for you to see. I find candlewicking very easy. Once I draw the picture on the calico I make up the stitch pattern as I go. I find it a lot easier than cross stitch because your not counting very small squares or following intriquet patterns. If you can do any embroidery stitches then you can candlewick. All you have to do is use thicker thread. I use calico because its cheap and washes well. And I use crotchet cottons, six strand embroidery thread, silk and rayon threads to do the stitches with. Sometimes I do cream on cream other times I use all sorts of colours and threads. It depends on the design. Cheers Sybil

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel truly blessed to have grandchildren. I babysit our granddaughter every Monday and Tuesday while my daughter is at work. My son inlaw is a farmer and my daughter works part time in a nearby town. Eliza will be 3 in April and just loves doing craft with me. At the moment its mostly finger paint, playdough and stuff to glue but we have fun and I just love dressing her in hand made originals. My 18mth old grandson lives 350klms away so I don't see him as often. Really looking forward to the new arrival that Im busily making clothes for. Cheers Sybil

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Sybil, am new here having just found the site and a grandmother of two over 6ft teen age boys, and two small little girls in the UK who I knit for, (girls) would take forever to make for the boys. Have been knitting for many years, not always successfully with some problems along the way, and still battle on. Also have been spinning and love that side of the craft. Do a little bit of every thing, except not the sewing, not my strong suit. Have a lot of frustration with knitting as find so many patterns, and have so many clever friends on FB who not only knit, but make the patterns in the mags, and will need another 74 years to live to make at least some of the wonders I find. Have fun with your craft.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Hello, I am new here myself. I am 50 and have been knitting and crocheting since I was 35. I have 2 granddaughters and also work rating shifts. Unfortunately I cant bring my knitting and crocheting to work with me.
I live on the East coast of Mass.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Hi welcome to you I enjoy many of the same hobbies as you and I was the daughter of a policeman sounds like you have a wonderful well rounded life kudos to you.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Sybil and welcome to the forum! Would love to see photos of some of the things you make. I love the fact you have such a wide variety of interests and you certainly seem to stay busy. I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum and I can't wait to hear more about your projects.
Carol L.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi everyone, just got back from shopping in a near by town. Our nearest town with more than 2 shops is 60klms away. Busy women always seem to find spare time to fit more things in to our day. My husband is away at the moment at the police accadamy doing a training course for occupational health and safety so I have been able to catch up on my gardening, dusting and even found time to clean out my closset.I have almost finished a cardigan for the new arrival in july and purchased some more wool today to start knitting for my other two grandys for winter. I start night shift tonight so I hope to get atleast 2 jumpers finished in the next 8 days. I', going to Perth for easter and will catch up with my daughter whos expecting so I want to get the shawl, cot blanket, and layetts finished so I can give them to her. Hopeing to take photos for you all to see before I deliver them. Must go need to get a bit of sleep before going to work. Happy knitting. Cheers Sybil

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi everyone, I have posted some pics of a few winter clothes that I made for my 3yr old granddaughter in the pictures section. I had a bit of trouble getting the pictures to load so I had to wait until my husband got back from his course so she could show me what I was doing wrong. Not sure if I'll remember exactly who he did it but there on for you to see. Nearly time to start getting ready for work. I haven't had much sleep today as my daughter, son inlaw and granddaughter came back to my house for lunch after church. Hopefully we will have a quiet night with no new addmissions. Happy Knitting Cheers Sybil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom