Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Paradise Mae. When deciding on a hat size to knit, the finished measurement of the hat should be 2 inches smaller than your head measurement. So if your head measures 22 inches, the finished hat mesurement should be 20 inches.

·
Registered
29,287 Posts
Hi Mae welcome to the forum from Tasmania. you could try a smaller needle perhaps. rujam

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Mae and welcome. I would swatch with smaller needles to find what works best.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
hello Mae! Welcome! You could try using smaller needles in general if the whole hat is too big, or just on the band of the hat. I'm still not good at adjusting patterns otherwise

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
WELCOME to KP!

Grab the amount of excess material in the band and count how many stitches you have in that tuck...then decrease your cast on by that amount...+/- a little for ease.

Or do it by your gauge...how many inches too big is it and how many stitches to your inch...then decrease your cast on by that amount.

Once you get the right cast on figured out make sure you keep good notes for future hats!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Mae, Have you tried using smaller needles tthan the pattern suggests, that may work. It may also work if your knitting is turning out looser than the pattern is stating. Please try it and let me know how you get on. Good Luck.
Jessie

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom