Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Gramma to 17 grandchildren, but that's not my dilemma. I have a friend in a nursing home who has severe arthritis and diabetes. Her feet are very swollen and cold. I want to make her some stylish slippers that don't make her feet look so gross yet keep them warm. Can anyone help me with that. I knit and crochet, so all patterns would be helpful.
I enjoy this site and all the topics. I've been crocheting since 3 1/2 and knitting since 8. I'm now 71 and have a 95 year old Mom in the same nursing home as my friend. She taught me to crochet and she still does.

·
Registered
326 Posts
having been a nurse (recently retired) I would suggest a short sock that would go over the ankles. I would also use larger needles than called for to make a looser knit that would stretch as her feet swell. Maybe use a pattern for a mans sock that would also be larger. If you need a pattern try simple knits. also a site called wool wanderings lists sites with free patterns. Good Luck, your special to do this for her. I'm sure she will appreciate this. Kaju

·
Registered
44 Posts
#8 needles (On men's and women's slippers, use size #10 needles and do one block less.)
2 skeins 4-ply yarn in contrasting colors (should make 2 pairs slippers)
Cast on 60 stitches using 1 color yarn
SIZE ADJUSTMENTS --
Toddlers: 8 blocks across, 6 blocks long.
Children: 10 blocks across, 8 blocks long.
Ladies: 6 sts to block and 12 blocks across; 6 rows to a block and 10 blocks long ("There are 6 rows to a block when we are talking length and the ladies slippers are 10 blocks long so that means 60 rows total....")
Men: 14 blocks across, 12 blocks long.
If cuff is desired, cast on 8 sts on each end, bind these sts. off when half squares are completed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Row 1 - (Start with contrasting color) K6, pull other yarn across and K6; repeat with alternate colors until you have 10 sets of 6 st each color.
Row 2 - (Anchor contrasting color at beginning of each row) K6 with same color you ended row 1 with, pull other yarn across and K6. Repeat with alternate colors as in Row 1.

NOTE: It is important on all even numbered rows to be sure to change your yarn colors correctly. ALL ROWS STRAIGHT KNIT. After anchoring your contrast color, be sure your matching coloris at the front of your work (away from you). K6 sts. Bring the color towards the left and over your needle to the back side of your work (toward you). Take the contrast color back through the same way to the front of your work and K6. This constant reversing of yarns is done for each 10 squares and on all even rows.

Row 3-8 - Repeat rows 1 and 2.
Row 9 - Change your color of thread to start a new color square. Knit same as Row 1.
Continue the above procedure until you have 7 squares for women and possible 8 for men.
Decrease in 8th (9th) square --
Row 1 - K 1, K2tog, K1, K2tog. Repeat in all 10 squares.
Row 2 - K 1, K2tog, K1. Repeat in all 10 squares.
Rows 3 and 4 - Knit.
Row 5 - K 1, K2tog. Repeat.
Row 6 - K2tog. Repeat. (This will leave you with 10 sts. on the needle).

Cut yarn about 12 inches long. Take one color yarn, thread it through a needle and pull it through the 10 sts. Tie ends securely. (This forms toe of slipper).

Using one yarn (cut the other off) sew the sides together of the last four squares. This leaves four squares for the open part of the slipper.
Sew the back together to form the heel.
*** To give the rolled effect on the top edge of the slipper, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ANCHOR YOUR CONTRASTING COLOR AT EACH END OF EACH ROW.

-------------------

·
Registered
463 Posts
thanks for the pattern

lorraineflood said:
#8 needles (On men's and women's slippers, use size #10 needles and do one block less.)
2 skeins 4-ply yarn in contrasting colors (should make 2 pairs slippers)
Cast on 60 stitches using 1 color yarn
SIZE ADJUSTMENTS --
Toddlers: 8 blocks across, 6 blocks long.
Children: 10 blocks across, 8 blocks long.
Ladies: 6 sts to block and 12 blocks across; 6 rows to a block and 10 blocks long ("There are 6 rows to a block when we are talking length and the ladies slippers are 10 blocks long so that means 60 rows total....")
Men: 14 blocks across, 12 blocks long.
If cuff is desired, cast on 8 sts on each end, bind these sts. off when half squares are completed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Row 1 - (Start with contrasting color) K6, pull other yarn across and K6; repeat with alternate colors until you have 10 sets of 6 st each color.
Row 2 - (Anchor contrasting color at beginning of each row) K6 with same color you ended row 1 with, pull other yarn across and K6. Repeat with alternate colors as in Row 1.

NOTE: It is important on all even numbered rows to be sure to change your yarn colors correctly. ALL ROWS STRAIGHT KNIT. After anchoring your contrast color, be sure your matching coloris at the front of your work (away from you). K6 sts. Bring the color towards the left and over your needle to the back side of your work (toward you). Take the contrast color back through the same way to the front of your work and K6. This constant reversing of yarns is done for each 10 squares and on all even rows.

Row 3-8 - Repeat rows 1 and 2.
Row 9 - Change your color of thread to start a new color square. Knit same as Row 1.
Continue the above procedure until you have 7 squares for women and possible 8 for men.
Decrease in 8th (9th) square --
Row 1 - K 1, K2tog, K1, K2tog. Repeat in all 10 squares.
Row 2 - K 1, K2tog, K1. Repeat in all 10 squares.
Rows 3 and 4 - Knit.
Row 5 - K 1, K2tog. Repeat.
Row 6 - K2tog. Repeat. (This will leave you with 10 sts. on the needle).

Cut yarn about 12 inches long. Take one color yarn, thread it through a needle and pull it through the 10 sts. Tie ends securely. (This forms toe of slipper).

Using one yarn (cut the other off) sew the sides together of the last four squares. This leaves four squares for the open part of the slipper.
Sew the back together to form the heel.
*** To give the rolled effect on the top edge of the slipper, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ANCHOR YOUR CONTRASTING COLOR AT EACH END OF EACH ROW.

-------------------

·
Registered
761 Posts
My name is Lisa & my mom has arthritis in her feet too & this is the slipper pattern that I use for her. I use 2 skeins together in acrylic yarn.
cast on 42 stitches
knit 24 rows
bind off 7 sts knit to end (35 sts left)
bind off 7 sts knit to end (28 sts left)
knit 14 more rows
then work k1,p1 rib to end for 10 rows (this is the toe)
there are 50 rows total
cut yarn leaving a 12" tail use a yarn needle to draw the yarn through the remaining sts. pull the yarn tight & knot to secure yarn you will see the toe take shape as you do so. sew up the toe & the top weave in end & trim. sew up the back. If you leave a really long tail as you cast on you can use the tail to sew up the back of the slipper.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi, just read your dilemma and thought I would share a pattern with you that is really easy and everyone who wears them loves the comfort and warmth.The easiest way to get the pattern is to go to his site: http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/maggieslippers.html
If you have any trouble getting it let me know.I double the yarn strands to make them warmer.I think I am going to make some for summer and spring using a lighter weight yarn and single strands.Jan

·
Registered
519 Posts
Have a nice slipper pattern depending on size needles and wt of yarn they fit all sixes Here it is!\
Cast on 60 st loosely Sole wotk 10 rosw in garter si
Row 1 K27, K2 togTBL (thru back loop) place marker,P2 place marker, K2 tog TBL, K 27

Row2 Purl to 2 st before marker,P2 tog, slip marker K2, slip marker,P2 tog,P across

Row 3 Knit to 2 sts before marker,k2 tog TBl,slip marker,P2, slip marker K2 tog TBL knit across

Repeat rows 2 and 3 until 28 st remain. ending by working P row
Cuff Work 10 row in garter st. Bind off all st VERY loosley

Average ladies I use 9 needles, about 4 oz doube yarn

Hope you like it. Like booties for adults
jchags

·
Registered
201 Posts
It is funny you should mention that, this Christmas I made dozens of booties for my children and grands and greats ) I am 75 a really simple pattern is cast on 44 sts, knit till it is 4 inches then decrease each edge 7 stitches knit back and decrease another 3 on each end. now you have 24 stitches. knit till the entire length is 8 inches or 8 1/2 then bind off two stitches at a time, knit back then bind off two stitches again. leave a nice length of yarn and pull thru the last stitches to form a ring, then back stitch up the top part, then do the same with the back, I use dbl 4 ply or bulky. that is up to you if you want really nice warm ones use wool. I finish them by taking two strands of yarn and weaving them around the ankle and tying them in a bow, and then turn the top down to make a cuff. I must say all the people I have made them for this year have loved them. you can make for men by inc the stitches to 54 and first dec of 9 or smaller size using 40 stitches and estimate the persons foot size, I have also made them for babies so have fun with it and experiment. I used size 10 needles for the project

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do you have a pic. I'd love to see it. Thanks, Jan
Chags said:
Have a nice slipper pattern depending on size needles and wt of yarn they fit all sixes Here it is!\
Cast on 60 st loosely Sole wotk 10 rosw in garter si
Row 1 K27, K2 togTBL (thru back loop) place marker,P2 place marker, K2 tog TBL, K 27

Row2 Purl to 2 st before marker,P2 tog, slip marker K2, slip marker,P2 tog,P across

Row 3 Knit to 2 sts before marker,k2 tog TBl,slip marker,P2, slip marker K2 tog TBL knit across

Repeat rows 2 and 3 until 28 st remain. ending by working P row
Cuff Work 10 row in garter st. Bind off all st VERY loosley

Average ladies I use 9 needles, about 4 oz doube yarn

Hope you like it. Like booties for adults
jchags

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom