Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been knitting for at least 75 years. Started in New England, then New York, New Jersey, and now retired in Pennsylvania. Specialty is Nordic mittens that I knit from Lion Brand Woolease. The patterns are in a book from the 1940's called "Jiffy Mittens" An eye problem kept me away, but I couldn't stay away. This "Knit-wit" missed it!
Also, I'm teaching myself to knit continental. Made 10 dish cloths while practicing.
Hint: For the closure of mittens or hats, instead of pulling yarn through remaining stitches with a yarn needle as is usually suggested, put the stitches on a crochet hook and pull a yarn loop thru them, Then, pull the tail thru this loop and tighten. Thus, there is double thread through the sitches, Much stronger. Enjoy!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Brownie
Welcome to the forum. I am almost as old, 69. I dropped knitting many years ago and just got back into it again. I am making hats for 44 retarded adults for Christmas. It is nice to do while watching TV, which doesn't have much on anymore worth watching. I am from Illinois. Thanks for the tip it is something that I can use on my projects.
Blessings
Pat

·
Registered
978 Posts
peace said:
Hi Brownie
Welcome to the forum. I am almost as old, 69. I dropped knitting many years ago and just got back into it again. I am making hats for 44 retarded adults for Christmas. It is nice to do while watching TV, which doesn't have much on anymore worth watching. I am from Illinois. Thanks for the tip it is something that I can use on my projects.
Blessings
Pat
Hi Ladies me too I'm 62 and do hats, scarfs and mittens for Arkansas Children's Hospital

You are right Pat, definitely garbage on tv these days. LOL

Liinda - (Sebastian, Fla)

·
Registered
978 Posts
I make quite a few mostly crocheted because it is so much quicker. I got the patterns on Lionbrand.com; knittingabout.com; etc.

I love Harry's love. I was so glad to see her on tv instead of going to the movies to see her talent. Very good show

·
Registered
125 Posts
What do you mean by "closure"? I think I get it - but I'm not sure - when I bind-off, the last stitch is where I pull the yarn through and tighten - then I snip the yarn and weave the tail in - is this what you're talking about?? I don't get the yarn loop part of it...am I on the right track - or am I missing something..

I've done Mitts - but not mittens - a hat eons ago - at this time, however, I'm starting a cloche, and would love a tip or two for the end. Thanks.

I appreciate your sharing ideas...every day a new opportunity to learn!

Susan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Susan:
I knit my hats and mittens in the round. That is I go
round and round on either a circular needle or set of
double pointed needles (with total stitches evenly divided
on those needles). Several inches are knitted to form
the main part of the hat or mitten. Then you need to decrease the number of sitches gradually, to fit the head or hand. When you get down to a few stitches (pattern
will usually tell how many) you need to close up (pull these stitches together). Usually patterns tell you to close with a yarn needle pulling the thread (after cutting) through these stitches. Instead, I insert a crochet hook through these remaining stitches, put the yarn around the hook a and pull it through all the stitches. This forms a loop on your hook. Then you pull the thread end through that loop and tighten. Hope my explanation is clear enough.
Knitting in the round can also be used for sweaters, etc.
Few seams required. One "old" knitter once said she almost always knit in the round, as she was a "knitter" and not a "sewer". Enjoy! At 87, I'm still learning!
Brownie

·
Registered
125 Posts
Brownie -

Got it!! I was at the wrong end of the project...now I know exactly where you're coming from and YES!!! Excellent tip - thanks so much! Like I said - every day in every way - new opportunities come along when you least expect them. Thank-you for being so explicit!

Susan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom