Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been knitting for at least 75 years. Started in New England, then New York, New Jersey, and now retired in Pennsylvania. Specialty is Nordic mittens that I knit from Lion Brand Woolease. The patterns are in a book from the 1940's called "Jiffy Mittens" An eye problem kept me away, but I couldn't stay away. This "Knit-wit" missed it!
Also, I'm teaching myself to knit continental. Made 10 dish cloths while practicing.
Hint: For the closure of mittens or hats, instead of pulling yarn through remaining stitches with a yarn needle as is usually suggested, put the stitches on a crochet hook and pull a yarn loop thru them, Then, pull the tail thru this loop and tighten. Thus, there is double thread through the sitches, Much stronger. Enjoy!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Susan:
I knit my hats and mittens in the round. That is I go
round and round on either a circular needle or set of
double pointed needles (with total stitches evenly divided
on those needles). Several inches are knitted to form
the main part of the hat or mitten. Then you need to decrease the number of sitches gradually, to fit the head or hand. When you get down to a few stitches (pattern
will usually tell how many) you need to close up (pull these stitches together). Usually patterns tell you to close with a yarn needle pulling the thread (after cutting) through these stitches. Instead, I insert a crochet hook through these remaining stitches, put the yarn around the hook a and pull it through all the stitches. This forms a loop on your hook. Then you pull the thread end through that loop and tighten. Hope my explanation is clear enough.
Knitting in the round can also be used for sweaters, etc.
Few seams required. One "old" knitter once said she almost always knit in the round, as she was a "knitter" and not a "sewer". Enjoy! At 87, I'm still learning!
Brownie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom