Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading various things about blocking. I was wondering about a. Blocking in general and particularly blocking acrylic. I've read that you can kill/block/set acrylic with a steam iron, got me to wondering if anyone had tried a hair dryer instead? The heat would be more controllable than a steam iron but obviously wouldn't produce steam, although if wet stuff is heated. Doesn't it produce steam anyway?
I have far too much time on my hands at the mo, I need to get back to work :)

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
I wouldn't try it.... when you use a hair dryer, you are doing just that... drying. When you use a steamer or steam from an iron (as I do) you are adding moisture, letting fibers relax, etc. I think you would be doing the opposite of what you would WANT to achieve. I just wouldn't risk it... holding an iron and pressing the STEAM button would be easier than trying to reign in the wind from the blow dryer, anyways. Just thinkin' out loud, here. Yes, get to work!!!! lol

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I think it would work just fine on small items.. if I was in a hurry to get a dish cloth done and sent off... I would dry it with a hair dryer... thats cotton and not acrylic but I think it would work just fine.. the only way to find out is to do a test swatch and see... it might surprise everyone... I have a heat shrink gun.. LOL now that would melt the yarn...:)

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I finished an acrylic shawl today and was tempted (but ran out of time) to put it in the dryer with a damp cloth for a few minutes and then pin it until dry. Has anyone ever tried that? Did it work?

I wound up giving it to my niece, who is college-bound, without blocking it. It's meant as a 'hug from home' and I expect it will be stored slightly less than carefully (which is why it was made with acrylic yarn in the first place.)

I just wondered if anyone tried it and if it worked.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
AmyKnits said:
I wouldn't try it.... when you use a hair dryer, you are doing just that... drying. When you use a steamer or steam from an iron (as I do) you are adding moisture, letting fibers relax, etc. I think you would be doing the opposite of what you would WANT to achieve. I just wouldn't risk it... holding an iron and pressing the STEAM button would be easier than trying to reign in the wind from the blow dryer, anyways. Just thinkin' out loud, here. Yes, get to work!!!! lol
great response! I agree

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom