Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you do anything special to the ends of Homespun besides knotting them? I was thinking of dabbing them with glue or clear nail polish before weaving them into the scarf I just finished.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would only be on the ends of the yarn, e.g, where I cast on and bound off and where I added another ball of yarn.

So that would be about 4 ends.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I think that it would still be scratchy. If you have long enough ends and weave them one way and then back again they shouldn't work themselves loose. You could also weave the ends through some of the stitches to help hold them.
Yvette

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
I use Dritz Frey Check.
I use the magic knot to join my Homespun yarn, and I put a small dab of Fray Check on the join.
I also knot the non-working end of my yarn while I am knitting. That keeps the fraying to a minimum while I am knitting.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
frey check, but you can do this, work your yarn in 1 direction then turn and move to next row and work back for about 1-2 inces it maye come unwound for a bit but will not come unstiched

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
ADiane said:
Do you do anything special to the ends of Homespun besides knotting them? I was thinking of dabbing them with glue or clear nail polish before weaving them into the scarf I just finished.
Are you asking about the ends of fringe? It is a problem, I usually did knot them which solved the problem pretty well. However I haven't used homespun in long time as I have come to prefer smoother yarns and more natural fibers. it's a very pretty yarn, but does not hold up well; it really gets ratty after machine washing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use homespun all the time for prayer shawls. For the beginning strand and the ending strand, I just weave them back a few stitches and trim. I usually pull the knitting just a tad before I cut the end. This seems to help the end disappear. For any yarn joined in the middle of the knitting, I overlap the old end with the new and knit 5 - 6 stitches with both strands, then drop the end of the old skein. Then, I trim as above when finished. The double yarn and the end disappear in the fluffiness of the knitted piece. So far, I've had no problem with everything staying where it should. However, when I knit something other than a shawl or scarf, I'm careful to do the overlap near the end of the row so it will be hidden by any seams.

When I do fringe on the Homespun prayer shawls, I use the fur stitch to make it. It eliminates attaching fringe at the end and since there are no loose ends with fur stitch, the fringe stays nice and neat. No fraying of loose ends.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I looked up the fur stitch on you-tube - lots of tutorials, for both knitting and crochet. Interesting stitch, and seems like a good solution for any fuzzy yarn fringing. They also showed it to make pillows, rugs etc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom