Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a honeycomb cable blanket pattern. I made it when my GD was born (16 yrs ago) & cannot find the instructions. I know how to do the stitch, I just don't know how many sts to CO. Can anyone help? Please

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Ooops! Well, it looks like a honeycomb cable is knit on a multiple of 8 stitches and repeats after 8 rows. The size of the baby blanket doesn't matter too much, but a typical one would be around 28"x30". So, it all depends on your gauge. Suppose, for example, you are knitting with worsted weight yarn. This has about 5 stitches per inch using the recommended needle sizes (http://community.knitpicks.com/page/1984936:page:8101 ). So, if you want to knit 28" wide, this would be 140 stitches. If you want a garter stitch or moss stitch border around the edge, you could do this for stitches on each side. So you could try the following:

Cast on 140 stitches. Knit 8 rows for a garter stitch border, or complete 8 rows of moss stitch. Begin the honeycomb pattern, keeping a 6 stitch border on each side. This leaves you with 128 stitches, or 8 repeats of the 8 stitch honeycomb pattern. Repeat this until desired length, then do another 8 rows of your border stitch. Keep in mind that the cable will likely have a tighter gauge than stockinette stitch, which will make the blanket a bit smaller.

Does that make sense? Basically, figure out your gauge and how wide you want the blanket to me. Multiply these values to get the number of stitches. Then adjust by making sure that you have any border stitches considered, and making sure that the remainder is a multiple of 8 stitches. Add or remove a few stitches until the multiples work out and you should be good to go.

I hope that helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom