Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which heel do you like best,Sweet tomato Heel,Short row.or heel with a heel flap,I am knitting a pair of Bed socks with a padded Sweet tomato heel, on the last page of the pattern,Is the instructions for the short row heel.

·
Registered
13,837 Posts
Mary Cardiff said:
Which heel do you like best,Sweet tomato Heel,Short row.or heel with a heel flap,I am knitting a pair of Bed socks with a padded Sweet tomato heel, on the last page of the pattern,Is the instructions for the short row heel.
Definitely the short-row heel. I looked at an alternate instruction for the Sweet-tomato heel and have tried the heel flap.

With the short row method I only have to deal with exactly half of say, 84 for worsted Redheart yarn. With the Sweet tomato heel I would be dealing with 42 + 21 = 63 stitches...not an even amount of stitches.

·
Registered
25,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must be dreaming,I am sure I read more about the Fleege heel,I even clicked on to a down load and printed a patten.Fleege heel on Magic loop,I printed 2 pattern toe up and cuff down, On the cuff down(which I thought had the Fleege heel)It says knit a heel flap ,is there a heel flap on the fleege heel,Or can it only be done on the toe up,

·
Registered
14,208 Posts
I agree Kaixixang...
Definately short rows for me...the sweet tomatoe heel for adult socks and I have Cats book...(I actually found a mistake in it lol..she thanked me :))
It takes too many "wedges" in the STH for an adult sock IMHO...
I just use what works best for me...

kaixixang said:
Mary Cardiff said:
Definitely the short-row heel. I looked at an alternate instruction for the Sweet-tomato heel and have tried the heel flap.

With the short row method I only have to deal with exactly half of say, 84 for worsted Redheart yarn. With the Sweet tomato heel I would be dealing with 42 + 21 = 63 stitches...not an even amount of stitches.

·
Registered
13,837 Posts
Since both the flap and short row method are designed to turn 45 degrees toward the foot...may-hap the math for the short row wasn't done correctly before? All you have to remember is have 5 stitches in the middle of the heel for every 30 st. For every 5 above or below that number of stitches add or subtract 1 until you get to 60, 90, etc. Remember to double the heel stitch work-down for a wider toe.

AmyClaire said:
I like a flap! the short row heels are too shallow for my feet, and I like the padding of a slip stitch heel :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom