Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured covering the livestock this way would work better than JUST horses. lol

So here's a couple pics of my horse, Gracie. She's a belgian cross (was a premarin foal, I'm 2nd & last owner). She'll be 14 in March, and I've had her since she was just about 8.
Best horse in the world... but I'm a bit biased. lol She's my "pony". Does anything I ask her to do - from jumping (which she loves and I'm learning to), to dressage or hunter stuff, to Medieval games (including jousting - with someone else riding her only because I don't have armor), to going over/under/around/through anything on the trail.
The only thing I've found her to be afraid of (ok, terrified in "draft terms") is goats... much to my dismay (I like goats!).

She's even awesome about beginners riding her - and carries her daddy (my boyfriend of 19 yrs finally caught the horse bug) anywhere he can convince her he really wants to go (she tests him to make him have to ask..lol). Right now she's part of a lesson program for my trainer who was responsible for my finding her. She's been AWESOME, and has proven that not all mares are, well, mares. lol

Attachments

· Registered
21,267 Posts
Gracie is a beauty. I don't know alot about horses.
Down the road apiece ( I live in the country), there is a horse rescue. That wonderful woman is out there all the time. She has some volunteers that help her. They walk the horses for her. She relies on donations.
I have watched them go from abused or neglected looking to happy healthy animals. My heart goes out to her. I can't imagine how hard she works every day and night.
God Bless all who rescue and help animals.

Gracie looks like she has an awesome life.
Linda

· Registered
121 Posts
Gracie is georgeous. I still miss my Lacey. She was in foal when I bought her and I didn't know. Lacey was my first (and probably only), so I had no idea whay she was getting thinner & thinner, but her abdomen was larger. The woman that owned the barn thought it was something called hay belly. I discovered she was pregnant by chance I suppose. A friend and I were at a Horse Expo on a Saturday and I was talking to the Manufactuer of the feed that was used at the stable and was seeking advice on what to feed Lacey and was describing what Lacey looked like, and just so happened a man that was standing there over heard the conversation I was having. Just so happens..........that man was a Vetrenarian.......he sort of joined or entered the conversation and was just listening then he started asking questions............then he told me to get Lacey checked......she was in foal. I all most fainted. I had the Vet out on Monday and sure enough she was pregnant. The stable owner insisted right up untill the vet examined her that Lacey was not pregnant. Why was she so insistant that Lacey was not pregnant you may ask????????????

She had sold me Lacey. It is ILLEGAL to sell a pregnant horse with out testing and disclosure of that fact. But I dind't find that little tid bit untill much much later.

I moved Lacey from that stable immediatly to my friends house and she and I got Lacey's weight back to where it should be and we had a healthy colt on April 15th.

Lacey was fine when we took her away from the colt, right back to normal. Fantastic trail horse, did anything and everything I ever asked of her. I did not hesitate to take my 6 year old granddaughter out to the stable and put her up on Lacey and turn them loose in the arena. When she was up on Laceys back that horse walked or trotted so smoothly that my granddaughter didn't even bounce.

Then the following summer Lacey went NUTS. she would not be ridden, no bucking bronco in any rodeo had anything on Lacey. I had several trainers work with her but she wasn't being ridden. She'd be fine one minute and bucking the next. So I had to get rid of her before someone got hurt. Even if she did accept me as a rider, I don't think I would have trusted her again. The trainer said he would find someone to take her that would be able to deal with her problems.

I just can't bring myself to get another horse. I still hurt so badly from the last experience.

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi, That is a beautiful horse. That is what I need in a horse, I have MS so my balance is a little more than a little off, and I am over weight. I have a deal with myself that I have to get down to 140 before I make a horse carry me, but with a horse like that I could cheat a little.
I was blessed to work with horses before I got so weak with the MS, just feeding and cleaning stalls for quarter horse show horses here in Montana, if I could have just 1 day back it would be with the horses on a summer day.
I have never heard of the jousting? Sounds like you could do 3-day eventing, also! We had a 3-day eventing event at our barn a mule entered every one threw a fit they knew the mule was good and it was it brayed as it jumped the outside course so cute.
I truly love your horse, so beautifully kept and colorful!
Lizzy

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi, Lacey and her baby are certainly beauties also! The little face is just too cute. Lacey sure has a kind eye. I would have hated losing such a nice horse. I am glad you found her a home though. Lizzy

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh wow...she was absolutely stunning! Colt looks like he has a blue eye? Cutie too!
So sorry about you losing her! :( I don't know how I'm going to react when it's Gracie's time... but hopefully that won't be for lots more years yet. She's only turning 14, and I knew one draft cross at a barn I was at who was about 35 when he finally crossed. He was rideable right up until I left that barn, and he was 34 then! So I'm hoping like crazy that Gracie lives as long as he did, and is rideable the whole time.

Drefuzzler said:
Hi all this was my Lacey. She will be forever in my heart. I don't think I'll ever get over loosing her.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lizzy, you should look around and see if there are any theraputic riding facilities near you! I used to volunteer as a sidewalker at one near me, and we had an adult woman with MS who was one of the students. The last show I was at @ that facility she was riding independently!!! Huge change from when I first met her. The hippotherapy helped her immensely.

Lizzy said:
Hi, That is a beautiful horse. That is what I need in a horse, I have MS so my balance is a little more than a little off, and I am over weight. I have a deal with myself that I have to get down to 140 before I make a horse carry me, but with a horse like that I could cheat a little.
I was blessed to work with horses before I got so weak with the MS, just feeding and cleaning stalls for quarter horse show horses here in Montana, if I could have just 1 day back it would be with the horses on a summer day.
I have never heard of the jousting? Sounds like you could do 3-day eventing, also! We had a 3-day eventing event at our barn a mule entered every one threw a fit they knew the mule was good and it was it brayed as it jumped the outside course so cute.
Lizzy

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi, Thanks-That is kinda incredible, the barn where I was working was a college barn also-there was a student there one year that was what she wanted to do, I was going to be her tester on the horses, oh the great plans.
There is no place here. I am pretty secluded-by plan-the guy I am living with has 40 acres I am always looking for the "babysitter". I get to horsey-sit 4-5 pairs of brood mares and babies in the summer. They are always so fun, but the disease is creeping up on me with weakness and lack of decsion making skills (takes me to long to figure out which way to move) if they start arguing over the oats or what not. But, if I find a big horse that can carry my weight and is not strong minded and doesn't need a saddle, so many things, huh? always looking! Have Fun!
Lizzy

· Registered
563 Posts
Hi Lizzie, As you can probably see by my profile pic I am no lightweight myself but I dont let that stop me riding. As a general guide horses can comfortable carry 20-25% of their own bodyweight.

Of the four horses I have ridden in recent years none of them have ever noticed how heavy I am and have quite happily carried me out on day-long trail rides over very steep and rough country which most people would think you could never ever venture on a horse...don't let your perceived weight issue stop you doing something which will give you great pleasure and also boost your well-being.

I have a close friend who also has MS and who used to ride in her younger days and who is about to 'have a go' with our boys to see if she can take up gentle riding for pleasure. She certainly loves spending time with our horses and giving them treats!

As an aside, my current boy is my smallest at 16 hands and I have been riding him on a 15kg (32lb) western saddle.

Btw, I got back into riding by volunteering with RDA Riding for the Disabled before I went to the expense of buying my own horses.

Lizzy said:
Lizzy

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi, Thank you, what a thoughtful message. My daughter is moving out to her families farm on the west end of Billings and when everything gets settled down I'm sure she will get a horse. I really did not know how much they could easily carry. I am trying harder I that I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Animals are such an important part of my life. Horses have a special 'thing' about them, some just can't get, I truly do feel sorry for them.
Thanks again. Love your baby! Peace, Lizzy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom