Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
82,240 Posts
I'm a thrift shopper too.
I like this design if someone can find a similar pattern. Nice that it is double thick.
How do you know if they’re double thick? They look single to me.

The holes say not-potholder to me.
IF cotton or wool, hot-pads.
IF synthetic, just pretties. Maybe for under a potted plant?

·
Premium Member
19,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you know if they’re double thick? They look single to me.

The holes say not-potholder to me.
IF cotton or wool, hot-pads.
IF synthetic, just pretties. Maybe for under a potted plant?
the centers are double thick. The squares are the same on both sides. Cotton. I would not use them as a pot holder for sure.

·
Super Moderator
82,240 Posts
the centers are double thick. The squares are the same on both sides. Cotton. I would not use them as a pot holder for sure.
I fail to understand WHY anyone would make potholders with holes. There’s enough happening in a kitchen, without having to think about avoiding holes in whatever I use to pull a hot tray out of the oven!

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
They are pretty. And yes, they look like they are double thick in the middle ... so yes put your hot dishes on it. But yes also, the stitch pattern is holey and I wouldn't want to trust it to protect my hands and digits.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Very cute hot pads/mats! The pattern is certainly different. Perhaps the holes are supposed to give a little vent for condensation from the hot dishes? I’m not sure if it would work that way, but it’s all I can think of. I surely wouldn’t try to use them as pot holders either.

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
But the fun is in the making of them, and the pride in it being your own work. Whenever I see things like this I think to myself "I could do that".

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I like those hot pads and for 25 cents each, I would have bought them too. Looked around a bit and found what appears to be a very similar pattern. Triple Thick Pot Holder pattern by Sara Sach
I looked at the pattern, since it is a paid pattern I am just going by the picture - if the pattern is called 'Triple Thick Pot Holder' then I am guessing that there are three squares (possibly 2 joined together and the bottom one just joined at the edges). This looks like a cute pattern to try for a hot pad (no pot holders like this for me!) I see another experiment coming. Thanks for sharing your pattern find

I just looked at the Ravelry pattern again and if you go to the bottom there is the free pattern on her blog spot!! Now I should be able to know what to really do.

·
Premium Member
19,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I looked at the pattern, since it is a paid pattern I am just going by the picture - if the pattern is called 'Triple Thick Pot Holder' then I am guessing that there are three squares (possibly 2 joined together and the bottom one just joined at the edges). This looks like a cute pattern to try for a hot pad (no pot holders like this for me!) I see another experiment coming. Thanks for sharing your pattern find

I just looked at the Ravelry pattern again and if you go to the bottom there is the free pattern on her blog spot!! Now I should be able to know what to really do.
There are 2 squares, joined by the corners. I am tempted to take the 3rd one apart and deconstruct it.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Chickkie please let us know how yours comes out! I am wondering if you can use the pattern from her blog but just use two squares - kind of sounds like it would work and just be a thinner hot pad. This sounds fun!

·
Premium Member
19,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Chickkie please let us know how yours comes out! I am wondering if you can use the pattern from her blog but just use two squares - kind of sounds like it would work and just be a thinner hot pad. This sounds fun!
2 squares, joined at the corners.. Now that I look at it more, it is very simple. I am not a crocheter, but can do some simple things. Here's a photo of the joining. The squares are offset so there are no holes in the center part, so there chould be no burned fingers.
Creative arts Finger Art Wool Woolen

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top Bottom