Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a straight piece of "cast off" stocking stitch (42sts) and the pattern is asking me to knit up 25sts evenly along the cast off edge. Which do you think is the best way to go about dividing it up? I have tried every other stitch but that doesn't work, also tried my own division which I can't get to work successfully. Would appreciate some help. I know this is simple but just can't get it :thumbdown:

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
do you need the stitches in the middle of the piece?
if so then work your way in from both ends, that should give you a good guesstimate where to pick up and knit..

or if you need the 25 to span the 42 then every other stitch, but you may also have to put a couple of stitches some further apart. there is no easy way really as you have odd and even to work with, i think you'll just need to go by eye and try to get it near as you can.

·
Registered
769 Posts
First, I would mark the middle then the quarters with something. With the edges this gives you placements for 5 stitches, 20 to go.

Next, Your work is divided into quarters, so 20 divided by 4 = 5. ***** up your first stitch at the edge, then place 5 stitches evenly between the edge and the 1st marker, replace marker with the next stitch, five more evenly to the middle, replace marker with stitch........

Well, you get the idea :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Carol (UK) said:
I have a straight piece of "cast off" stocking stitch (42sts) and the pattern is asking me to knit up 25sts evenly along the cast off edge. Which do you think is the best way to go about dividing it up? I have tried every other stitch but that doesn't work, also tried my own division which I can't get to work successfully. Would appreciate some help. I know this is simple but just can't get it :thumbdown:
Gah. I hate it when patterns are made by people who forget the difference between even & odd numbers...
Hmm. Well, if you can clearly count out each of the cast-on stitches (in some cases, that's pretty tough), then I'd go to one of the 21st stitches (the two stitches in the middle, and count out 12 stitches on each side, then choose a side to get the 13th stitch. Are you making anything where it'd be noticeable if there's a difference between one side & the other? Or perhaps you're making an item of clothing... but keep in mind that people's bodies aren't truly symmetrical... maybe you can position that extra stitch to your advantage?
If you can't really tell exactly where your cast-on stitches are, just fold the thing in half & do your best to pick up 12 on one side, 13 on the other.
In any case, good luck!

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Carol (UK) said:
I never cast off those stitches, instead put them onto a stitch holder. Then I decrease accordingly when the time comes

·
Registered
15,969 Posts
Carol (UK) said:
Personally, I would cast on 25 sts and work whatever is required (my guess, button band?) and sew it on after, pinning each end and easing it into place as you go.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Carole,
No answer for your question....but your Schnauzer is adorable!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
The way I would do it is:
111101010101010101011110101010101010101111 : with ones being picked up stitches and the 0 being stitches not picked up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
orkchild said:
The way I would do it is:
111101010101010101011110101010101010101111 : with ones being picked up stitches and the 0 being stitches not picked up. Hope this helps.
You have 26 here.

I would try, find the middle stitch and pick out 12 each side.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i would add 12 stitches in every other stitch in the beginning then when you get to the middle of the co row add 1 then count backwards from the end and start your remaining 12 add ins skipping every other stitch

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom