Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
81,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sellers of furniture issue such things as, "•Seat made from recycled foam (50 kg/m3) and polyester foam (22 kg/m3) covered in polyester cotton wool (100 g/m2)"?????
Copied from a Groupon offer.
It can be polyester. It can be cotton. It can be wool. How can it be all three at once? It cannot, but they - the ad men - try to pull the wool over the buyer's eyes by mentioning two non-man-made fibres, when there isn't anything natural about the product! Aargh! AND IT'S LEGAL!!

·
Registered
15,969 Posts
Just a thought, Jessica-Jean, but maybe they are refering to cotton-wool? as opposed to cotton AND wool as a filling? with the cover being polyester.
Not sure if you call it the same over there, but the roll of 'stuff' used for make up removing etc.
Just my early morning ramblings!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cotton-polyester yarn is a recognised blend. The polyester is there to strengthen the natural cotton fibre. It should be clearly labelled though, but if you search around the internet for yarn you'll come across it. The "wool" term is that old bugbear meaning "yarn" rather than the kind you get off a sheep's back, and yes the whole thing makes life more trying. It's been said here a number of times that a standardisation of terminology across the board in knitting would be a tremendous help to all of us across the globe, but I can't see that coming in a hurry. Best advice I have if you are unsure if you are buying synthetic or natural fibre is to bite it - you'll know right away by the way synthetic is unyielding and icky on the fillings. Bit like seeing if your coinage is real gold/silver in the olden days!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom