Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
You just double the strand and CO as usual (using the CO method called for in the pattern of of your choice.

Surf for:

Double knitting CO

......you'll find a series of three covering it and would look at part one.

Good luck!!

easterisa said:
I need a little help getting started

·
Registered
522 Posts
to Easterisa:
What do you mean by double knitting?
Using two strands at the same time?
Creating a 'lining' inside the main work?
Working one sock inside the other? (finish one and the other finishes at the same time)

Grosvenor

·
Registered
336 Posts
The cast on for double knitting has been explained so won't go there. Do keep in mind that double knitting uses more yarn as you knit the rows twice to make 1 row. Knit 1, yarn front, slip one as if to purl, yarn back. Row 2 you knit the slipped st and slip the knit st.
Just repeat these 2 rows. It creates 2 sides and you can actually pull them apart. It is very soft and warm, thermal as air is trapped between the two sides. Probably not too clear as we Sr's just know. :oops: HA!

Any way, I finished a double knit baby afghan last night and just have to weave in my ends. Good luck on your project!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Double Knitting means you have the pattern on each side of the piece...cast on twice the number for the pattern and
you can use one color or two colors.....I usually just cast on with one color, i.e. pattern calls for say 100 stitches,
cast on 200 sts...knit a row...next row, using your pattern..everytime you knit a stitch in say blue, purl the
next in say white....everytime you knit in white, purl in blue....there is two distinct sides to the piece...you only
attach these when you change colors..hope this helps..the
pattern is completly reversed in color on each side....

·
Registered
261 Posts
frajo, how long did it take you to make the baby blanket? I bought some cotton yarn after we all saw that GORGEOUS red and white afghan posted a few weeks ago, and I'm working my way through some priority knitting to get to the double knit idea. I thought I'd start with place mats (how could I go wrong?), but the baby blanket sounds like a good idea too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well, I did a really dumb thing, Sent it off to NY and was in such a hurry to get it there for the baby shower, I forgot to take pictures, Hopefully they'll take some and send me one. So very sorry :thumbdown: Feel like a real dodo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom