Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pattern I want to do.
I understand all of it but how do I do edge stitch, I am sure it is really easy but has me stumped.

Here is the pattern:
Traditional Instructions:

Row 1: edge st, * p2, k4, k2tog, yo, p2; repeat from * to last st, edge st

Row 2 & all other wrong side rows: edge st, * k2, p6, k2; repeat from * to last st, edge st

Row 3: edge st, * p2, k3, k2tog, k1, yo, p2; repeat from * to last st, edge st

Row 5: edge st, * p2, yo, sl1kw, k1, psso, k4, p2; repeat from * to last st, edge st

Row 7: edge st, * p2, yo, k1, sl1kw, k1, psso, k3, p2; repeat from * to last st, edge st

Repeat rows 1 through 8.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Silverowl said:
I have a pattern I want to do.
I understand all of it but how do I do edge stitch, I am sure it is really easy but has me stumped.

Here is the pattern:
Traditional Instructions:

Row 1: edge st, * p2, k4, k2tog, yo, p2; repeat from * to last st, edge st

Row 2 & all other wrong side rows: edge st, * k2, p6, k2; repeat from * to last st, edge st

Row 3: edge st, * p2, k3, k2tog, k1, yo, p2; repeat from * to last st, edge st

Row 5: edge st, * p2, yo, sl1kw, k1, psso, k4, p2; repeat from * to last st, edge st

Row 7: edge st, * p2, yo, k1, sl1kw, k1, psso, k3, p2; repeat from * to last st, edge st

Repeat rows 1 through 8.
What are you making? A blanket, afghan? It's a 10-stitch edging. It sounds interesting.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 10 + 2 stitch pattern and I am going to make a scarf. The pattern is called Leaf Garlands.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Generally, an edge stitch is simply a knit stitch or a stockinet stitch that is intended to give you a more solid edge to use for seaming. One way I do them is to slip the first st of every row, and knit it on the far side. This gives a nice even edge that looks great by itself, but still is even enough that you can make your seam stitches 1 st in from the edge and still have an even bit of knitting to work with. If you don't like the garter stitch effect that results, you could slip the 1st st and purl the last stitch on every row. That would result in more of a stockinet effect. If the piece is not intended to be sewn to another bit of knitting, then it could just be whatever decorative effect you like. It is usually used for knitting where the work would be very loose along the edges if it were not for the extra stitch on each side, such as in lace work, or heavily textured patterns.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Silverowl said:
Thanks Smoqui for your help.
Smoqui gave a great description of an edge stitch for a seam allowance; in your case, you have taken a stitch pattern from a stitch dictionary, and want to make a scarf. So, you make an edge of whatever stitches you want - three, five, ten - in a garter stitch or a seed stitch so your scarf won't curl on you. Then, you do as many of the stitch repeats that you want to make your scarf wide enough, then you repeat your edge stitches at the end of your row.

Ready-made patterns usually have these edge stitches written out for you, and the choice of garter or seed stitch is made by the designer. In this case, you are the designer! Congratulations :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom