Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I received a big bag of yarn from a Goodwill store. Included in the bag was a sweater back and half of the front, cable pattern, and one size 8 knitting needle. The yarn is Red Heart Puff, and looks a few years old. There is enough yarn to finish the sweater, if I only knew how. There was no pattern. The back is knit straight up from the ribbing, no decreases for sleeves. The front appears to be made the same way. Would this be a sweater that sleeves are picked up and knit after the front and back are sewn together?

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Drop shoulder? You could certainly do that by finding a pattern for one just to get schematic measurements. IF you can copy the cable pattern on the one front to the other, great. If not, maybe you could just frog that..... or just stop the cable and start something new... let it be a singular design element..... You could make fronts as tall as back, sew shoulder seams..... measure a piece of fabric for how much you need to make rectangular sleeves and either knit them at the same time or take notes to make them match..... Good luck.... Do give some thought to what type of neck you want....boat or a little shaping... Since the fronts aren't done, you can make that decision.

·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I said the front was half finished, I should have explained there are no two front pieces. It is half finished from the ribbing up, appears to be a pullover. Thank you for explaining how to sew the shoulder seams, then doing the sleeves. I have knit a few drop sleeve sweaters, so I know what you are talking about, but wasn't sure with this one. The ones I did before had decreases at the underarm, then was knit straight up to the shoulder decreases. I thank you for the answers to my query.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It sounds like a logical way to go. - and one that you can easily adapt a pattern that you already have to fit the project.

Makes you wonder about the 'back story' when you find an UFO in a pile of donated wool doesn't it!

·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do wonder why the sweater was never finished. This is the third time I have found only one knitting needle in bags of yarn from the Goodwill store. Someday maybe I will find a set.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Some years ago a neighbour gave my aunt a bag of half finished garments, patterns and yarn to finish. After a few months I asked how she was getting on, and to my horror she said she'd thrown it all in the bin! I didn't realise at the time she was too elderly to work out the patterns and in her frustration she threw it away! I would have LOVED it.

·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will attempt to post a photo of the sweater pieces later this morning. I need all the help and suggestions I can get with it. It is a pretty yarn and pattern, just my size, and I would love to finish it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Can I suggest you look at the book "Knitting Simple Sweaters from Luxurious Yarns" by Marilyn Saitz Cohen (Lark Books, 2003)?I found my copy at Barnes and Noble.

Many different designs, all drop-shoulder like yours. There are good schematic drawings for each piece, with well-marked dimensions. And the yarns are in many different gauges. This could give you some ideas about how to create sleeves that would fit the body work you already have.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
If you sew, take a look at the patterns you already have and knit the pieces you need to finish to match the sewing pattern. I did that with a child's sweater once. I had run out of yarn that someone had given me and I used the sewing pattern to make the yokes and finish the sleeves.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
It seems to have been done well. Maybe it was never finished because the other needle became lost! Anyway you have the needle size. If your gauge matches just get another set that size and find a cable pattern that matches this (will require some searching on the Internet) and follow Dreamweaver's suggestions and you're off. I would need to find a free pattern that has the drop sleeves to do it. Good luck! Could be a lovely sweater when you're finished! Please share with us how you're getting along and the finished product.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would look on Ravelry and see if there is a matching pattern on there. I would go to the various cable sweater books, online also to see if you can match the pattern. Ann Budd has some great books out there, perhaps you could email her also. I am sure she would love to help solve a mystery. It is so beautiful, I would hate to pull it all out. You could go and count each stitch in the cables and see what your repeat pattern is and try that also. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would think the finished piece you have is the front, as the neckline is cut out. The back would be straight across. I am just finishing a pullover (fisherman's shirt style), where the front and back are both straight across. I'm not sure how the neck will turn out, but have read that a low turtle neck will be the best way to go.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom