Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow Knitters...I just finished knitting up the Rosabel Cardigan that danny0725 submitted photos of a few weeks ago. It turned out really nice but in all the confusion of patterns and counting etc, I forgot to put the button holes into one edge (5 knit stitch edge) of the cardigan. Any suggestions of how to fix this mistake. I'm trying to avoid sewing in a bunch of snaps but can't think of other options. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
google "knit afterthought buttonhole" and you will see many options. Elizabeth Zimmerman is the genius of knitting so I would look at hers first.
Take comfort in knowing that you are far from the first or last to need to do this.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I know this won't help with this one, but may prevent a future repeat:

Always do the button holes first, because you can move the buttons to match the holes. You can't move the button holes without frogging, or making a bloody big mess.

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Hm.

You can a) use really small buttons, to go through the stitches, or, b) cut the thread for buttonholes and secure it with sewing afterwards (I personally wouldn't like that) or, c) add a piece with wholes or, d) crochet some "ears" - like, loops - for button wholes at the end, or underneath the upper piece.

·
Registered
42,303 Posts
Depending on the size of the buttons you might be able to work the buttons through the yarn, to make a hole big enough. There are many options online to make a button hole after the fact.
https://www.google.com/#q=knit+afterthought+buttonhole

for future
When making a sweater I always made button holes on both sides, then when sewing buttons on, sew the button over the hole on the button side and they will always line up with your button holes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You could make an I-cord loop that pops up where the buttonhole should have been then you could make a knotted I-cord button to pull through it. It's really cute -- I made a child's sweater once and it was called for in the pattern.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I have stuck the button I want to use in between some stitches to get the place for the hole, then with matching yarn enlarged the hole to fit the button. If you are using 4 ply knitting worsted, strip the plies and use two. Same could go with using DK. I have also stuck my little finger in the button band to open the stitches to sew them. No need to cut, just use a stitch that pulls the strands together, in the hole and then in the knitting again and again till the hole is prominent.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to add loops to one side of the button hole band. I tried some of the other suggestions but they looked quite bulky. I learned an important lesson. Read ALL the directions before I start working on a complicated (for me) pattern. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
I always made my buttonholes on my sewing machine. And then I got a new machine on which they were much more complicated to do. So now, if I don't want to do knitted buttonholes, I take them to a local tailor who will make beautiful machine buttonholes. Actually, I prefer the machine buttonholes, but they are right expensive per piece, so if there are very many, I knit them in now. Any good tailor shop can do them. I realize that a lot of knitters won't want them, but they are great for teenage stuff if you have a teenager who doesn't want "homemade things." If you have a sewing machine and know how to make buttonholes with it, don't hesitate. You might want to use tissue paper on the bottom.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom