Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Hello All! I am a semi-new knitter and I’ve made a mistake and I’m not sure how to fix it. The first 6 stitches in this row are seed stitch (k, p, k, p, k, p). The next 4 stitches (and following) are knit.
As you can see in the picture below, I have the correct amount of stitches, but I also have a strange loop. Can I fix this? Or must I frog this last row? (i’ve included pictures of the right side and the wrong side.) TIA
Outerwear Grey Creative arts Woolen Wool

Textile Sleeve Grey Creative arts Plant

You are developing a good habit - reviewing your work often.

I agree with the posters above. You finished the seed stitch border with a purl, but did not take the yarn to the back between the needles to knit. Since the yarn was in front of the needles, and you had to pass it over the needles to knit...instant yarn-over!

I also agree about undoing the row. Tinking is a fact of life; it will give you practice. Just make sure your stitches are all mounted correctly (right leg in front) when you're done.

Good luck - be well.

To me, it looks as though you had put down your knitting a few stitches from the end of the row, and then picked it up an continued in the wrong direction . (NOTE: not only new knitters do this! )
In any case, tink back until you reach it.
Other than that, your stitching looks fine.

When you did the last purl stitch did you put your yarn back under the right hand needle to begin your next knit stitch? Or possibly you might have done a yarn over, but either way I would just undo each stitch and start that row again.

It might be an accidental yarnover, or you might have just missed pulling the yarn through the loop when you knit (or purled) that stitch on the needle under the loop. Can you trace the path of the yarn to see exactly where that strand comes from? It can be hard to see in photos, but you should be able to see it if you give a small tug and watch where the yarn moves on either side. If it comes from one stitch on your needle, jumps over a stitch, and then goes into the stitch on the other side, then it is NOT an accidental yarnover, you just missed pulling it through the loop on the center stitch. That can happen without you noticing it until you get to the same spot on the next row. Sometimes the yarn slips off the tip of the needle instead of coming along with the needle all the way through the loop. It's very easy to fix with a crochet hook or your needle tips.

If the loop comes out of one stitch and goes into the next consecutive stitch, then it is most likely an accidental yarnover that you created when you forgot to move your working yarn from front to back (or back to front) when switching between a knit and a purl stitch.

I think I've knitted (or purled) a stitch every once in a while, but I haven't pulled the loop through the stitch. It looks like a YO, with an unknit stitch.

You can use a crochet hook to pull the loop through the unknit stitch in the proper direction to make either the knit or purl you missed.

Just knit back to the problem, and fix it.

Glad you noticed it before you got any farther along. And glad that you got it fixed. It is an easy enough thing to happen, no matter what the experience level is. All it takes is 1 second of distraction to mess something up! So much easier to fix when you catch it so close to having done it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom