Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have finished the Thrifty Market Bag, but for the life of me can not figure out how to knit the handles. Looked on youtube for knitted handles like this pattern and can't find any tutorials that fit. Feel like a dunce but just can't figure it out, know you kind ladies can help. Thanks, Suzanne

·
Registered
27,104 Posts
Pick up 30 stitches on the top of the bag. Then cast on 80 stitches. Knit in the round these 110 stitches.
Do you know how to pick up and knit stitches?
I use a cable cast on to cast on the 80 stitches.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Is this the bag you made? If so to work the handles you pick up 30 stitches across the one top edge, then cast on an additional 80 stitches for a total of 110 stitches. Then you just knit 6 rows in garter stitch. When you finish the first handle you work the other side the same as the 1st. Once both handles are done you close the circle and sew in place.

http://www.favecrafts.com/Knit-Bags/Thrifty-Market-Bag-from-Lily-Sugar-n-Cream

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you jinx, answered my question perfectly. I was confused by instructions to pickup stitches on side, made no sense to me. Have to go to youtube each time I have to pickup stitches, thanks for hint to use circulars, just bought a set but don't know how to use them yet, will learn though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can even take 12-15 strands of wool. Make a knot at the beginning. Divide these into 3 parts and make a plait out of it. Stitch and join them. I have used this type of handle while doing crochet handbags. They look different and lovely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom