Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a friend who just knits squares just basic knitting.
She asked me how to knit them together.
I crochet and I just use the back stitch and I try to use the same color as the square.she is working with 7 diffrent colors and every color is a square
Thank
MsN

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Are the squares already knitted? She could choose a unifying color and pick up and knit a couple of rows around the blocks (adding room for the corners to be squared).
Then, using that same yarn sew the squares together.

·
Registered
32,093 Posts
If the squares are even you could choose one of the colors and join them in crochet, then do half double all around the outside.

quote=Ms.N]Hi,
I have a friend who just knits squares just basic knitting.
She asked me how to knit them together.
I crochet and I just use the back stitch and I try to use the same color as the square.she is working with 7 diffrent colors and every color is a square
Thank
MsN[/quote]

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I was given a 9 page pattern to use scraps of yarn. Making them into "puzzle pieces" for an afghan. It suggests sewing them together with the Kichener Stitch but I like your idea of crocheting them better. Less ends to work in.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a scanner, but it is called:

Puzzle Pieces A knitting pattern by MeganMME

very simply written and easy to follow. Nice sized pieces-- using about 4 grams of fingering yarn or 8 grams of worsted for each piece. Nice project to do while traveling.

Thanks, Carolyn

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,247 Posts
carolyn tolo said:
I was given a 9 page pattern to use scraps of yarn. Making them into "puzzle pieces" for an afghan. It suggests sewing them together with the Kichener Stitch but I like your idea of crocheting them better. Less ends to work in.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a scanner, but it is called:

Puzzle Pieces A knitting pattern by MeganMME

very simply written and easy to follow. Nice sized pieces-- using about 4 grams of fingering yarn or 8 grams of worsted for each piece. Nice project to do while traveling.

Thanks, Carolyn
Link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/puzzle-pieces-4

·
Registered
32,093 Posts

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I knit patchwork sweaters (Sally Melville's pattern) frequently which are different colored knitted squares attached together. I don't have a link but will give you an explanation of what I do which works. These squares are knitted in stockinette and consist of 10 stitches across & 10 rows each. On the purl side moving from one color to the next, I twist the two yarns 3 times between each color. Should you need to frog any of them, you are in for a hair pulling event. It is a pain in the neck so you choose your colors wisely.

·
Registered
151 Posts
To knit squares together after completion, pick up the same number of stitches on one side of one square, then pick up the same number from another square and use 3 needle bind off. Make strips this way and then 3 needle bind off the strips together.

·
Super Moderator
87,247 Posts
lotsofknitting said:
To knit squares together after completion, pick up the same number of stitches on one side of one square, then pick up the same number from another square and use 3 needle bind off. Make strips this way and then 3 needle bind off the strips together.
GREAT idea!!!! Especially great for non-crocheters. Added to my list.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
87,247 Posts
rusty needles said:
Thank you for all this information. Now I won't have knots in my socks where I join new yarn. Joining this group has opened up a whole new world for me....and I thank you ALL.

- Kathy in SC
Knots in knits!!!! Blasphemy!! At least, in my knits.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Since they are all different colors I would crochet a border around each one in a good solid neutral like black or white or gray depending on your preference then sew or crochet them into strips which you then join by sewing or crochet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
Knots in knits!!!! Blasphemy!! At least, in my knits.
HAHA....it IS blasphemy! But I feel like I should be excused since I'm new to knitting/crocheting. I should've paid attention and watched my mother, a great knitter/crocheter when she was still with us.
I inherited her needles, and they sat in the garage in a box for years...thus the name "rusty needles". (They're really NOT rusty!)

- Kathy in SC

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom