Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am going to make Attic24's Granny Stripe afghan (see Ravelry for pattern). I have collected my colors, as she did, and am ready to go. Each color of the rainbow is represented by a same-color tote bag and contains numerous shades and values and tones of that color; i.e., the red tote contains yarns from a rich red down through to a light pink, the orange tote contains yarns from orange down through to light peach, etc.

How do you choose your color sequence? I would like to know what different people think about when they pick their next color of yarn.

One idea that I have is to assign each color of the color wheel with a number: Red is #1, Orange is #2, Yellow is #3, Green is #4, Blue is #5, and Purple is #6. Find a die in the kids' games and use it to choose my next color for me. After I roll the die and have a number, say #5, I will reach into the blue tote and pull out whatever "blue" yarn that comes to hand. After using that yarn for 2 rows, I will roll the die to get the next number/corresponding color and reach into that color's tote bag.

Tell me what process you go through to pick a sequence of colors.

Thanks! pj stitches! (from a very warm sw Missouri)

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Well that's one way to pick colors. I simply put the yarn together that I am going to use and mix them around to the way I feel more comfortable. Of coarse there are times mid way I will change but isn't that part of design and creativity?!!!?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
In my opinion I think when using Granny Square it is best to start with the light color in the center and work out to a darker color. With the color you have I think I would start with yellow centers then work all the other colors around the yellow. if you have 2 or more shades of each color after the yellow start with the lightest shade and go to the darkest. I would then use the green to crochet all the squares together. then your afghan would look like a flower garden in some ways. If you used the hexagon granny square you would have a flower garden.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I just put my hand in the bag holding the wool and use whatever colour I pick up. Sometimes my DH will say why dont you put this colour with that colour and it will look great. He has a great eye for colour as he was a qualified painter and decorator for many years.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
chriso1972 said:
In my opinion I think when using Granny Square it is best to start with the light color in the center and work out to a darker color. With the color you have I think I would start with yellow centers then work all the other colors around the yellow. if you have 2 or more shades of each color after the yellow start with the lightest shade and go to the darkest. I would then use the green to crochet all the squares together. then your afghan would look like a flower garden in some ways. If you used the hexagon granny square you would have a flower garden.
Sounds just like my "work in progress"

Attachments

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
pjstitches said:
Hi! I am going to make Attic24's Granny Stripe afghan (see Ravelry for pattern). I have collected my colors, as she did, and am ready to go. Each color of the rainbow is represented by a same-color tote bag and contains numerous shades and values and tones of that color; i.e., the red tote contains yarns from a rich red down through to a light pink, the orange tote contains yarns from orange down through to light peach, etc.

How do you choose your color sequence? I would like to know what different people think about when they pick their next color of yarn.

One idea that I have is to assign each color of the color wheel with a number: Red is #1, Orange is #2, Yellow is #3, Green is #4, Blue is #5, and Purple is #6. Find a die in the kids' games and use it to choose my next color for me. After I roll the die and have a number, say #5, I will reach into the blue tote and pull out whatever "blue" yarn that comes to hand. After using that yarn for 2 rows, I will roll the die to get the next number/corresponding color and reach into that color's tote bag.

Tell me what process you go through to pick a sequence of colors.

Thanks! pj stitches! (from a very warm sw Missouri)
Just a thought, but why not use the order of the rainbow? Start with your darkest purple and work your way up to white?

·
Registered
22,991 Posts
Another way you can choose your color sequence is to line up all the colors in a place where you have excellent lighting. Arrange these colors by their value--when you look at the balls of yarn and squint, you'll see which balls of yarn stick out and need to be rearranged. Or you can take a black-and-white photo of the yarns, and that'll tell you how to arrange them, from darkest to lightest.

Or you can let serendipity win, and just reach into a bag and pull out a color at random!

Hazel

·
Registered
583 Posts
I do lap robes all the time i used to make them in special colors together now that people know I do them for chaity the colors i am given i put most anything together what ever I have tha looks fairly good together goes in to them .When giving them away people get what I get for yarn, if I purchase it they all go neatly together. I use what I am given and try to put things together in a happy cheerful color fashion and for most part succeed. If I like it and my sense of color likes it and it is a strong sense from quilting and sewing also then it can go together. I got a lot of odds and end of yarn this week small skeins and odd lots so nade it into balls doubled it to make a few heavier lap robes or shawls put lots of odd colors together most to be cheerful colors . as I said i use what I get given and add what I need to make it all work . Do what you like that looks good to you.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I was making a magic ball with yarn left over from some afghans I knit to make a scarf. I cut the yarn into about 3 foot lengths. I was then going to just tie them together randomly, roll into a ball and knit the scarf. Well, I just can't be random- it's part of my personality. I kept wanting to tie them together in a pattern. (I am also not a spontaneous person and I think that kind of goes together) I gave all the 3 foot lengths to my DH and asked him to tie them together randomly. Just not to put the same color next to each other. He was able to do it and the scarf was fun to knit.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Joss said:
I was making a magic ball with yarn left over from some afghans I knit to make a scarf. I cut the yarn into about 3 foot lengths. I was then going to just tie them together randomly, roll into a ball and knit the scarf. Well, I just can't be random- it's part of my personality. I kept wanting to tie them together in a pattern. (I am also not a spontaneous person and I think that kind of goes together) I gave all the 3 foot lengths to my DH and asked him to tie them together randomly. Just not to put the same color next to each other. He was able to do it and the scarf was fun to knit.
You are describing me and why I started this post. Thank you, too!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom