Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
I have never used nylon cord, but whatever you are making is beautiful! Love the color. I Googled "singe nylon cord" and came up with info on melting it.

·
Registered
15,436 Posts
I've done lots of macramé and always passed the closely cut end quickly over a small candle (bigger than b-day candles). Second pass if needed. Be REALLY sure you keep the rest of the article out of the way as it will melt, too!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Got a piece of metal? Make a small hole including a slot to pass the end so the metal is between the end and rest of the project. Hot mitt/tongs if needed to protect fingers of course. Or, hold the end with tweezers or hemostat clamp to provide a bit of a heat-dispersion and keep the end away from the project. Thoughts on what I'd try.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
A member of my Saturday afternoon knit club swears by clear fabric glue. She recommended E 6000. I have used it on Wool and it worked very well and was not hard or lumpy. She knits a lot for her teenagers and say the glue survives Repeated washings.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kansas g-ma said:
I've done lots of macramé and always passed the closely cut end quickly over a small candle (bigger than b-day candles). Second pass if needed. Be REALLY sure you keep the rest of the article out of the way as it will melt, too!
Yes, I used to macramé myself and I've done that as well and I know what happens . The problem is,I'm legally blind because of a very small visual field , so I can't see well enough to do it that way . Matter of fact, I don't use candles at all ! Lol!

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
attycasner said:
A member of my Saturday afternoon knit club swears by clear fabric glue. She recommended E 6000. I have used it on Wool and it worked very well and was not hard or lumpy. She knits a lot for her teenagers and say the glue survives Repeated washings.
I'll check it out.Thanks!

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mirl56 said:
No advice to offer, but very curious as to what are you making? It looks lovely!!
Thank you. It's a crocheted market bag with the pineapple design. So I plan on using it a lot and I want to make sure the ends don't unravel.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,436 Posts
Grandmaknitstoo said:
Yes, I used to macramé myself and I've done that as well and I know what happens . The problem is,I'm legally blind because of a very small visual field , so I can't see well enough to do it that way . Matter of fact, I don't use candles at all ! Lol!
Thanks-- if I had known you had vision problems, would not have suggested candles! I don't have candles anymore (neighbor had a fire when one was left burning when they left house) except for 2 for emergencies when I am super careful.

The E6000 might work-- again, cut fairly close to end, use popsicle stick to apply glue. It is hard to get off fingers, etc, but not bad to work with-- fairly gooey.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kansas g-ma said:
Thanks-- if I had known you had vision problems, would not have suggested candles! I don't have candles anymore (neighbor had a fire when one was left burning when they left house) except for 2 for emergencies when I am super careful.

The E6000 might work-- again, cut fairly close to end, use popsicle stick to apply glue. It is hard to get off fingers, etc, but not bad to work with-- fairly gooey.
If I can't get my dear hubby to do it with heat, I will definitely try the fray check or go for that for the third option. :sm01:

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
Your market bag is absolutely gorgeous!

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ellie RD said:
Your market bag is absolutely gorgeous!
Thank you so much. I can't wait to have it finished it's kind a rough on the hands working with the nylon cord . As I was working yesterday,I noticed one of my fingers was bleeding,right next to the cuticle,so I had to put a Band-Aid on it. I did not let it slow me down.
My biggest problem is once I finish it, I will have resist the urg to give it away. My sister is coming to visit and I know she's gonna want it. :sm09: :sm09:

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
attycasner said:
I've tried fabric glues, and even if the glue itself is soft when it dries, when the glue hits individual fibers, they tend to stiffen and that's what makes the rough feeling on the fabric.

I've never heard of E 6000 glue being used on fabric. It was never created for that. When it dries, it has a rubbery, bendable consistency. It sounds like there's a possibility that it might be softer than fabric glue.

You can get a tube of it in a two ounce size that has almost a pinpoint sort of nozzle on it and get it right where you want, although a popsicle stick or something might help.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IndigoSpinner said:
I've tried fabric glues, and even if the glue itself is soft when it dries, when the glue hits individual fibers, they tend to stiffen and that's what makes the rough feeling on the fabric.

I've never heard of E 6000 glue being used on fabric. It was never created for that. When it dries, it has a rubbery, bendable consistency. It sounds like there's a possibility that it might be softer than fabric glue.

You can get a tube of it in a two ounce size that has almost a pinpoint sort of nozzle on it and get it right where you want, although a popsicle stick or something might help.
Since this is not a garment and it will not be worn by anyone ,I don't think there's any problem with something that gets stiff, such as glue . Certainly when you burn it it's going to get stiff as well . The nylon cord, itself, is a little stiff .
My only drawback using glue is that, I am really bothered by the fumes of it .
I think burning it outside a little bit ,if I have my husband do it ,would be the best end result . If he's not available perhaps my sister might help me out when she comes . I think she will probably be a little more careful ,lol!

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
attycasner said:
Where did you purchase E6000? (I've been unable to find it locally.)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom